Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the deposit down on a 2004 Your-Gramma-ha R1. I live at 5,000 ft. which dulls down horsepower by about 5-10%, so a liter bike doesn't overwhelm a lot of times, and a 600 sometimes feels downright sluggish. I sold the RC51 a ways back for $ and was wanting a liter bike again, but an inline 4. I was trying to decide between the R1 and the ZX10R, but I was won over by the bad-ass looks of the R1. I will be selling the 636 to get the new bike in January and to afford the insurance hike.

What can I say except I have time to rethink my decision, but I'm feeling pretty confident I will go through with it.

the R1

the ZX10R

IMHO the R1 is much better looking - but I will stop by the showroom to look at both in January (if that is when they are coming)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sweet! Gotta tell me how that thing runs. I my self like the new R1 over all of the other new litre bikes. Good choice! :D

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I seen a new R1 in the black/reddish scheme with a two-tone color matching mircon pipe and a reddish tint windscreen, it looked bad ass.

And that bike is a screamer.

I am partial to Kawasaki but the R1 is still a nice bike.

-Flash

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
what color you getting it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
BOOOOOO ugh, i hate the looks of the new yami, the undertail exhaust look like it came of a newer vfr. i personally like the 10r much better but to each his own, sorry about the booing i was just playing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to have to get the blue and white. IMHO I like the undertail exhaust, I don't like the one on the CBR 1000 or the new Ducati 999, but this one I'm all about. If people test the new ZX10R and dyno it and say that it will kick out +5 more HP and is 10 lbs. lighter than the R1, I will have to change my mind. But the R1 has always been a rideable bike with power that you can handle, but we will see what happens. I'm down with the wave rotors on the 10R and the newly molded tank, but it doesn't do it for me as the whole package.

·
Registered
537 Posts
When I look at stock exhaust all I see are the possibilities. I think R1 has a good setup that should work well with aftermarket dual canister systems. If I was in the market for 1000cc bike my money would be on R1.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I highly doubt it, but I hope Termignoni would make a CF exhaust for that like the Ducatis.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
that bike looks killer, 5 bucks it's gonna be too. i mean yamaha pulled it's racing out to focus on r&d right? i think it looks better than all the japanese liter bikes except for suzuki but they're both cool looking.
oh and for everyone that bad mouths the undertail exhaust: well think of it as an ass warmer on cold days[:p]. BMW charges u extra for hand warmers, yamaha gives u a free ass warmer. lol

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
lol
Good one, spartan.;)

If I were to choose a '04 liter-bike now, I would go for the R1 as well. The looks of that bike scream, "I am sex!" Well, something like that.:D The garnet red one is my favorite, but all the colors are really nice. You can't go wrong with Yami blue, sgates. Oh, and what did you mean when you said, "But the R1 has always been a rideable bike with power that you can handle"? That confuses me a little bit. Power is power. Previously, the reason the power was easier to handle was because it wasn't there compared to it's competition.;) But, it looks as though things are going to be changing for '04. I am diggin’ these under-tail exhausts too. It cleans the lines up so nicely and it just makes more sense to do it that way. I really like the R1.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Every R1 I have ridden has been much more rideable and forgiving than a Gixxer 1000 or RC51. The RC51 I had would kick my ass occasionaly when I wasn't expecting it leaned over in a corner and giving mild gas, and the Gixxer is so damn squirrely I would refuse to buy one. The whole setup is better suited for me to handle than the other two, but I wanted a v-twin liter bike a year and a half ago so I bought the Honda. Now I want an inline 4 and the Yamaha is the best looking, and their past bikes worked the best for me. Of course, since they have been overhauled it is probably comletely different, but we will see.

Dealers here for the Yamaha and the Kawi only require a $100 depsoit that is fully refundable even if you don't take delivery to order the color of your choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.