Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Added weight isn't worth having one i.m.o...
Just check out a few tankfuls worth of mileage - reset your odometer every tankful... I know with mine I can get ready to refuel after about 125 miles or so. Plus the reserve tank is pretty deep, lets you go a pretty good hike before running dry.

I just try to reset my odometer and refuel before the "danger zone".

·
Registered
142 Posts
These bikes are meant to be ridin agressively and I mean at decent lean angles. The only bikes that have gauges are the ones that are made for long distance riding. I can't imagine anything being able to measure the level of the gasoline while it is being sloshed from side to side.

·
Registered
299 Posts
...if anything they're not even gauges. Just low fuel warning lights.

I think the Yergrammaha's (aka Yamaha..) have 'em.

The kid on the yellow ninja...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
So do the Gixxers... but no reserve tank switch
"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

Edited by - dj dunzie on 12/29/2002 20:07:39

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would rather have a fuel switch, at least you have a definate way to tell you that you are low instead of a light that you might overlook when you are riding hard in the corners.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I don't mind not having a fuel gauge. Saves the cluster for the important stuff like MPH and RPM.

Besides, once you know your bike, you know it's range on a tank. I can tell just be sloshing the bike back and forth how much gas I have.

-Flash

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit" - Aristotle

·
Registered
284 Posts
Okay, so a fuel light would be nice. I guess everybody has to do this eventually -- yesterday I ran out of gas as I pulled up to a stop light 'cause I'd forgotten to take it off reserve after the last fillup. Thankfully I was half a block from a gas station and was able to fire up again long enough to make it there. [:I]

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02
Open Throttle Sport Riders

·
Registered
119 Posts
Originally posted by silver_6r

anyone happen to know how many miles you can go after the light comes on on the '03

--- '03 zx6r
I haven't tested, but I'd estimate about 40 miles. My light came on while I was riding the '03 home from the dealership and I filled it up with about 3.6-3.7 gallons. So it looks like the light comes on about where the reserve kicked in on my '01... about 1.1 gallons.

If mileage is similar to the '01 it should be about 40 miles. BTW, HAS anyone found what their average mpg is on the '03 6r yet??

'03 blue zx-6r
pics & projects:
www.harbordive.com/josh/zx6r.htm ('03 pics coming soon)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would guess my average mileage to be about 35 mpg when riding under both hard and easy conditions. I figure if you are really hurting for gas, you might be able to ride easy on the low fuel light and get somehere around 45 at most. Just depends on the rider. Like suggested before, the best thing to do, is run it dry and carry a jerry can with you. As far as fuel gauges go, I had one on my prior bike, but it was a sport cruiser, not a high performance street bike. The less insturmentation you have to look at the more you can concentrate in the race. I don't even like having a speedo. I like memorizing my speed based on my tach, and my gear. When you have that memorized, you will be a much better rider, and you will be able to push the bike to it's limits instead of trying to figure out entry and exit speeds in turns.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by prelupino

can i add one perhaps? would that be possible? sux.
If you want one get one. What the heck is what, a few ounces gonna do? Come on guys be nice and reasonable, not everyone wants an undertail or hugger but your nice neough to help with that, and besides, we are supposed to help people no matter what they want or what the ride right?

RE[]DE[]\[]-|-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is it just me or do the FI bikes come sans reserve ? Why is that ? Just because the fuel pump ? Whats the deal with that? Fuel gague, we dont need no stinkin fuel gague !!:D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.