Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i know that the bike is off by 8-11% stock depending on your bike. i have the yellow box on my bike and it is set for the gearing i am running (done using mile markers)

so my question is this, In stock form is the speedo AND odometer off? or does the speedo read off and the odometer read correct. i ask this because i am curious if my set-up is correct by going by mileage to set the yellow box. I want the speedo to read correctly but do not want the odometer to be way off if the speedo is correct. If it is off the odometer should read lower than actual mileage when corrected right?

sorry if it has been asked before but i tried looking and way too much stuff comes up to try and search

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The speedometer and odometer are linked, if one is off they both are off and vice-versa. Would be fun if they weren't though for mischevious purposes [}:)] ride on the freeway for an hour at 70 and the odometer shows 7 miles have been put on LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what your saying is that the odometer form the factory is off by 9-11%. is that legal to have the bike show 10% more miles than is actually being ridden? sounds like a bunch of horseshit to me to have the bike purposely read that far off, kinda like the RPM's being off for most sport bikes made. it all sounds like crap to me, but since it is accurate i guess i will run it the way it is.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes they are linked, no it is not 1:1. Your speedometer is of by a certain percent, and odometer is accurate. If you adjust your speedometer with the yellow box, your odometer will be inaccurate. You can easily test your odometer's accuracy by using mile markers on the highway and your lap timer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi. I've had my 2005 zx6r for less than 200 miles, and it's such an incredible improvement over my last motorcycle, a 1975 Kawi triple - better on fuel, stronger in corners, braking, acceleration, comfort, reliability - better in every way, except for the speedometer. (If you do the math, you can see that I'm a non-traditional newbie)

I knew when my son passed me on I-80 in our 20-year-old Volvo wagon, and me riding at an indicated 82 mph, that something was wrong. My speedometer is reading around 15% faster than it's actually traveling. The tires are not OEM sized, but they're not that far off.

Several questions: where does the speedometer get the signal to indicate speed; and,
what is the yellow box discussed elsewhere? does every zx6r have one?; and, Is it possible to adjust the speedometer? and, is it possible the previous owner changed gearing and has thrown the speedo calculations off?

I would sure appreciate some insight on where to start looking.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
757 Posts
Originally posted by timdlong
Hi. I've had my 2005 zx6r for less than 200 miles, and it's such an incredible improvement over my last motorcycle, a 1975 Kawi triple - better on fuel, stronger in corners, braking, acceleration, comfort, reliability - better in every way, except for the speedometer. (If you do the math, you can see that I'm a non-traditional newbie)

I knew when my son passed me on I-80 in our 20-year-old Volvo wagon, and me riding at an indicated 82 mph, that something was wrong. My speedometer is reading around 15% faster than it's actually traveling. The tires are not OEM sized, but they're not that far off.

Several questions: where does the speedometer get the signal to indicate speed; and,
what is the yellow box discussed elsewhere? does every zx6r have one?; and, Is it possible to adjust the speedometer? and, is it possible the previous owner changed gearing and has thrown the speedo calculations off?

I would sure appreciate some insight on where to start looking.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim, I'm pretty sure that the yellow box is something along the lines of the SpeedoHealer, which is this:

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/intro.htm

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yes they are off by anywhere from 6% to 9% from the factory. The odometer reads accurate from the factory, but once you put a healer on them the speedo becomes accurate and then the odometer is not, but that odometer error is in your favor.

On my buddies 05 636 we went 57 miles by odo which has a speedo healer on it and is accurate up to 140. When we got to my house mine showed 57 miles his showed 62 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.