Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I got a little question.

I'm looking for a new helmet. Now, price is an object but I am definitly willing to shell out the bucks for a great helmet.
I would obviously like something to match my green, white + blue '89 ZX7 but black is still my #1 choice as of now.:D
I'm also thinking of getting an older model used 250 to also learn on, and there's no specific bike picked out so I wouldn't know of a color. I'll be honest. Even though it's nothing by today's standards, the 750 is pretty intimidating for a 16 year old who's just getting into bikes. It's why I'd like something small to learn on.:eek: BUT I am in no means a squid, attention whore, etc on my 7.

So, here's some helmets I am considering:
http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/1183 - HJC Pegasus (Black + Red model)
http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/476 - Icon Domain Solid (Black model)
http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/1542 - Icon Domain 2 Serpecant (Black model)
http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/472 - Icon Domain Perimeter (Black + Silver model)
http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/2084 - Icon Airframe Claymore (Black + Silver model)

My top 2 favorites are the Domain 2 Serpecant, and then the Domain Perimeter.:cool:

Feel free to put in your 2 cents worth of nice helmets that you think look good. I personally like the Icon look (Ram air look, wing, black, black + silver, etc...).
To some the wings look greasy but I personally like the look.:eek:

·
Registered
296 Posts
i found a really nice shoei x-11 on ebay for $255. all black, no stickers, and dark smoke visor! it's a bas ass helmet. just make sure to ask if the helmet was ever in a wreck, how old is the helmet, are there any noticable scratches anywhere, how did it/they happen, etc. if the helmet was in a crash or dropped several times do not purchase it. good luck with your new purchase.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Honestly our opinions are worthless as to what WE like the best. You really need to go to the shop and try a bunch on. It may change your idea of what you think you like best. I went into the shop just knowing that I was going to get an icon domain decay in red and black. I went in and tried it on then tried on a few other helmets just because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with some of the more expensive ones like the shoei and arai... all I can say is HOLY COW what a difference in fit. For my size and shape noggin the shoei rf-1000 fit the best out of all of them. I didn't really care of the graphics package on any of the shoei's so I then decided I was ok with flat black because I wasn't going to be looking at the damn thing while it was on my head anyway.
Long story short, I thought I wanted an icon till I tried a bunch of other helmets on. You should do the same and remember that you won't be looking at the helmet as you ride so pick something that FITS and is comfortable.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I really never thought trying them on. Pretty smart idea! (not being sarcastic, It's just hard to word on the internet.)

And as for the comments on color etc. I'd like to have a good looking helmet (not that I'm a big attention whore...:rolleyes:)

Edit: 100th post!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And hopefully one of the Icon's will fit my lumpy head!

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Honestly our opinions are worthless as to what WE like the best. You really need to go to the shop and try a bunch on. It may change your idea of what you think you like best............................. For my size and shape noggin the shoei rf-1000 fit the best out of all of them. I didn't really care of the graphics package on any of the shoei's so I then decided I was ok with flat black because I wasn't going to be looking at the damn thing while it was on my head anyway.
Long story short, I thought I wanted an icon till I tried a bunch of other helmets on. You should do the same and remember that you won't be looking at the helmet as you ride so pick something that FITS and is comfortable.
EDIT: Forgot the "+1"

It doesn't matter what I like or what anyone else likes.

It matters what is comfortable for you!!

If you buy a "cheap" helmet" that you will actually wear, it is going to protect you better than an expensive one that you never wear.

Buy what you will wear.

Also, don't be convinced that the internet has the best prices. My local shop has decent prices and will happily work with you.

$0.04

--David

·
Registered
44 Posts
And if you find one that fits perfectly, but it is not quite your style: check online. I tried many on at several different shops before I found one that fit perfectly. Only problem was it had skulls all over it and the guy at the shop said it only came like that. I went home and found the same one in plain black and silver. ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I love my Shark RSI, it's very light weight, I'll never go back to a "heavy" helmet again. Of course it's not very flashy or bling like the Icons...so YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love my Shark RSR2 and I don't even have a bike yet. Still waiting on my 250R.

The helmet is the lightest and best fitting helmet of the dozen or so different models I've tried on. I don’t think I’ve read a review or user feedback that has said a single negative thing about the helmet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
shoei rf-1000

+1 here. the rf1000 is a real good looking helmet! real light weight too. though the decaled ones run high 400s and if you add the tinted lens ect your in mid $500 territory. heres my shoei helmet of choice colors wouldnt go with your bike though.

wait have to advance post..

·
Registered
679 Posts
RF1000 Sever with tinted visor.

I wanted the RSR2, BUT any place I went to locally, was not carrying it anymore. Since it does not sell much in the US :(. I then purchased the Shoei since it is available everywhere, so if I ever need a new visor I can go grab one right away. All my friends also have Shoei so we can swap in an emergency.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
shoei rf-1000 ftw....but like it was already stated, go try them on at a shop an then buy online if the dealer isn't willing to work on the price. i bought my first helmet without knowing what i was doing and it was too big and that made it a pain while riding. when i tried on a couple icon helmets they just didn't feel good on my noggin. when i tried on the shoei it felt like the helmet was made specifically for my head which is kind of what you want when it comes to a helmet.

as far as the colors go...matching the helmet to the bike is ghey. all of my gear matches but it def doesn't match my bike. besides most riders change bikes every year or two but helmets will last up to 5 years if you don't crash. at least its recommended to buy a new one if you have been wearing yours for 5 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts