Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll cut right to the end of the day

It was late, maybe 4PM and a 40 minute drizzle wet the track down just enough to result in three T-1 crashes, the last of which resulted in a 100' oil drop that crossed the track exiting T-1.

After NJMP track crew did an amazing job of cleanup which took about 40 minutes, BLUE group was up and I decided to head out for one last session after coaching WHITE group and running out with BLUE when it was dry a few times.

Well the only other bike out there was a Brew Crew SM. The track was still a bit slimy in places but the race line was mostly dry. Exiting T-1 did cause some wiggles but as long as I kept the right hand in check it wasn't an issue.

Just picture it, it's late in the day, the sun is low but not so low that it is in your eyes. The track is completely empty (once I passed Pat on the SM), the only sound I hear is my own exhaust note and the personal dialogue going on inside my helmet - smooth, press, lean, look deeper, soft hands, shift, pressure the peg, roll on, stay low.

I ran probably 4 or 5 laps like this. It was one of the most calming, enjoyable 10 minutes I have ever spent on a track.

That is all, just wanted to share.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Very nice write up, sounds like you were having fun. Any pics?

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Sweet, nothing like NOT having to worry about some jack a$$ doing a bonzai move on the inside of you.
getting 100% all your own track time that is awesome....

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Similar thing happened to me at Big willow, track was empty on my last session ( few wrecks, and wind was gusting) It was quite calming....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice!!

I seem to get bored out there by myself anymore.. Nesba's A group is so tough to get into that it very very rarely fills up - which is why i ride with them. And there are no "bozos" making inside passes. There are guys who sneak by and are gone before i get the chance to blink!..

After racing a full season, i have to admit that track days just arent the same. They are great for learning and playing with friends, but I just get soooo bored out there alone.

I have had those days of "zen" though - usually 1 of 3 A groupers (or CRs ) who plays in A group on JC.. Its quite a nice feeling!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice!!

I seem to get bored out there by myself anymore.. Nesba's A group is so tough to get into that it very very rarely fills up - which is why i ride with them. And there are no "bozos" making inside passes. There are guys who sneak by and are gone before i get the chance to blink!..

After racing a full season, i have to admit that track days just arent the same. They are great for learning and playing with friends, but I just get soooo bored out there alone.

I have had those days of "zen" though - usually 1 of 3 A groupers (or CRs ) who plays in A group on JC.. Its quite a nice feeling!
Katie

I remember when I did my first track day and within a few months and 10 or so more TD's, the street lost its luster and I sold my street bike.

I love the track days and coaching especially, but I agree that racing makes track days feel like track days made the street feel. (make sense?)

But when I got that 15 minutes, no one out there, not having to coach or look for anything, just me doing my thing, it was great.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Good for you Jimmy!!

The baby still healthy??

--David

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have been out alone on the track but it's only in the rain. When it rains for the morning practice noone really goes out but I figure I paid for it and it is good to practice in the rain also. Not really relaxing or zen at all though.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts