Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Yet another 06 zzr600 no spark

12K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Davisf02 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone..

SOLVED scroll down.

So... I bought a project bike, and boy has it become a headache. bought it off craigslist. Minimal information on the bike itself from the guy i bought it from. All he told me was he traded an old jeep for it. long story short he couldn't get it running sold it to me.

I have tried everything i could think of to get it to spark...cranks great no spark. first i replaced the pick up coil... both old and new read 462 ohms. within spec according to manual, same with all stick coils. then i replaced the ic igniter, that didn't do it. then the harness. that didn't do it. the fuse box twice, nothing. the fuel pump and pump relay, nothing. i even replaced the water temperature gauge that screws to the cylinder head, nothing. new plugs also. new neutral switch.

can anybody suggest something? all the switches work, kickstand, starter cutoff, on and off switch. i cut the sheathing off and inspected every inch of those damn wires. ive been working on this thing for over 3 weeks, read lots of forums.

the thing that makes no sense to me is... i pull the clutch in, press the start button, and the fuel pump pumps without stopping untill the fuel comes out the top of the carbs. seems like a short in the wires to me, but ive checked them multiple times.

cranks great in neutral.... BUT.... in gear or clutch pulled in. only the fuel pumps like a mad man never stops even if i plug the outlet.
please and thank you to anyone that reads this.

-yev

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome!

Maybe the ECU is bad? You could borrow a known good ECU from somebody, swap it out and see if it gets spark.

#5 ·
OK, the only thing i read that sounds smart is. the ignition lock has a resistor in it that would cause a no spark issue i opened mine up i dont see any resistor i did find the grey wire is soldered to two pins... is this the resistor that everyone is talking about?

#6 ·
OK i feel like an idiot. I've opened up my ignition lock 5 five times and said the same thing "What are these guys talking about there is no resistor inside." Then it finally hit me THERE IS NO RESISTOR!!!!!!!! The previous guy put an ebay new ignition lock on the bike. The new ignition lock didn't come with a resistor!

Well.. I hope this post gets to the people that are searching an [everything works but wont spark situation.] Good Luck

PS. Thanks to Strider007 for being the only one that tried to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.