Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a green 520x120 EK supersport chain for a great price. Anyone know how I can make it fit my '00 6R?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A 520 chain will not fit the stock 525 sprockets. You can use the chain if you fit a pair of 520 sprockets, cut the chain (the stock chain has 108 links), and fit a master link.

I like rivet master links.

·
Registered
700 Posts
whats a good way to cut the chain?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by aznridr

whats a good way to cut the chain?
It depends. Do you want the chain to remain pretty much intact, meaning are you planning on using it later, or are you throwing it away? I used boltcutters on my chain to break it, but I knew I was throwing it away. You can buy a special tool that breaks chains without damaging them, but it's kind of expensive. I bought the boltcutters for about fifteen bucks from a hardware store.

You could also use a grinding wheel to cut the chain, if you have one, but if you don't, they are expensive.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'd stay away from those masterlinks, I've had one come undone on me and it didn't even receive much abuse! You can buy a chain tool for about $80 or so. The kit should have come with a peen-over type link. Don't be a squid DO IT RIGHT!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by Strong Bad

I'd stay away from those masterlinks, I've had one come undone on me and it didn't even receive much abuse! You can buy a chain tool for about $80 or so. The kit should have come with a peen-over type link.
What you call a "peen-over type link" is a master link. It is a rivet master link and is a bit safer than a clip master link. A rivet master link is entirely what I recommended.

Many inexpensive chains do not come with a rivet master link but a clip master link. The local shop will fit a rivet master link for only a few bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.