Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a yoshimura exhaust in june for my red ninja 650R, but was wondering which exhaust would look better, especially since there is a significant difference in price between stainless steel and carbon fiber. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not sure how Yosh's are, but I know some brands you have to repack the carbon ones after awhile, and the stainless and ti you don't have to worry about.

If I could go back and do it again I would have gotten a black arrow so I never had to worry about repacking my TBR can. I know its not a big deal, but its just another thing you gotta worry about and guesstimate on since you don't really know when it needs to be repacked, and if you wait too long it will get burned out and then your CF will crack and break away and OH GOD I'M GETTING BUTTERFLIES JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm between the Arrow or the Scorpion for mine. They both dont need to be repacked, are affordable, and most importantly, sound freaking awesome!:violent:

Lately I have been leaning towards the scorpion, but I would like to hear one in real life and not just on youtube :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My opinion is that the stainless just looks cheap. sorry. :( I like the look of the CF a lot but, is it worth the extra $120 I don't know.

Why did you decide to go with yoshimura? I'm looking for a slip-on for my 07 650r also. I'm a big fan of the look of these TBRs.

Two Brothers Racing :: Elite Series Exhaust Line
Yea, the price is what discourages me, but I do really like the way cf looks.

Well I guess you could say that it's for no apparent reason, but mostly because I like the kanji that yoshimura has on its exhausts and because I've found a place where yoshimura seems to be the cheapest, while maintaining good reviews. Also they do have titanium exhausts which also look good, but I haven't found any for an 09 650R...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure how Yosh's are, but I know some brands you have to repack the carbon ones after awhile, and the stainless and ti you don't have to worry about.

If I could go back and do it again I would have gotten a black arrow so I never had to worry about repacking my TBR can. I know its not a big deal, but its just another thing you gotta worry about and guesstimate on since you don't really know when it needs to be repacked, and if you wait too long it will get burned out and then your CF will crack and break away and OH GOD I'M GETTING BUTTERFLIES JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.

:rolleyes:

You don't have to repack the stainless steel Yoshimura TRC's? Why is that?

·
Registered
161 Posts
You don't have to repack the stainless steel Yoshimura TRC's? Why is that?
I'm not 100% sure, and maybe someone can confirm, but I suspect the Yoshi TRC is a chamber design like the Arrow. Nothing to repack. The Yoshi TRS is a straight through insulated design like the two brothers or Jardine.

That said, with straight through designs, the need for repacking likely depends on the material used and it's tendency to degrade over time.

I'm no expert, can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've got a black 09 650R and also am gonna go with the stainless steel yoshi exhaust. I think it looks great on the bike. I don't like the way the carbon fiber exhaust looks on it. Just doesn't match. Yoshi is not as loud as Two bros. - but I live in a residential neighborhod and don't want an obnoxious sounding exhaust. The yoshi is loud and has a nice deep sound but isn't overly loud. That's my opinion anyway....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, and maybe someone can confirm, but I suspect the Yoshi TRC is a chamber design like the Arrow. Nothing to repack. The Yoshi TRS is a straight through insulated design like the two brothers or Jardine.
Update: I've proven myself wrong. I've got a Yoshi TRC in my hands. It's not a chamber design, it's an insulated straight through. (with the resonator chamber) It's also not rebuildable, so I hope the sound damping is a type that does not degrade. I have to wonder what the major difference between the TRC and TRS is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a black 09 650R and also am gonna go with the stainless steel yoshi exhaust. I think it looks great on the bike. I don't like the way the carbon fiber exhaust looks on it. Just doesn't match. Yoshi is not as loud as Two bros. - but I live in a residential neighborhod and don't want an obnoxious sounding exhaust. The yoshi is loud and has a nice deep sound but isn't overly loud. That's my opinion anyway....
Haha well thanks for the input. And yea, judging by your reply, stainless steel does stand out and look a lot better on a black bike. But yea, I think I'm gonna go with the new Vance and Hines exhaust for the 650R, I'm just waiting for late june or july to see how the prices are.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a red 08 and wanted the cf because I felt it would look better on the bike but the cost difference stopped me from getting it. So I went with the Stainless and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
In the end, it's YOUR bike, so do whatever the hell you want to with it. I'm sure if we listened to whatever other people said, a good majority of the people on this forum wouldnt even be on a bike. If you like the carbon yoshi, or whatever else, then get it. Prices, re-sell value, and everyone else be damned.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
well if you do decide on the yosh this is the best price for a the stainless steel i could find
650R - Indysuperbikes
i will be gettting one sooner or later

·
Registered
161 Posts
well if you do decide on the yosh this is the best price for a the stainless steel i could find
650R - Indysuperbikes
That's where I got mine. Beware - they don't actually stock these. They ship them to the store as required from California, then to you. Count on 2 weeks delivery. I got a little frustrated because they don't mention this up front and leave you wondering where your stuff is. But now that I have it, I'm happy because of the money I saved. The wait was worth it. Some vendors want $400+ for this. :eek:

Word to the wise: cover your swingarm with 10 layers of easily removed tape. It's a tight fit and you are likely to scratch it. Ask me how I know. Also, anyone happen to know a good paint color match for the silver swingarm color on a 2009?

Here's a stainless can installed. Tight fit, but looks and sounds awesome. Weight is 5.5 pounds, compared to the stock 13 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Word to the wise: cover your swingarm with 10 layers of easily removed tape. It's a tight fit and you are likely to scratch it. Ask me how I know. Also, anyone happen to know a good paint color match for the silver swingarm color on a 2009?
Here you are good sir,

Kawasaki 458 Metallic Phantom Silver - ColorRite

You'll probably just need the touch up pen if it's not drastic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
650R - Indysuperbikes
Wow that's a very good price, and thank you for letting me know about, it but as I mentioned earlier, I think I'm gonna go with a Vance and Hines exhaust later this summer. But yea, hopefully you'll get one sooner rather than later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts