Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard a factorypro jet kit would add hp and some people told naw it wont be a significant improvment.So whats the truth,I really what to know. sorry for the subject heading i was goofin around.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A jet kit is a good mod to do. The two Mods that will actually let the bike gain a few HP is a new pipe and a Jet Kit. Most people usually install a jet kit when they change out their pipe or add a on a full. I threw a DYNO Jet Kit on my old bikes and it seamed to have helped out a lot also smoothed out the power curve, although that could have been from the previous needles being worn a little thin.
I never put on a factory pro kit though and I wouldnt know the differance between them and Dynos Jet Kit. I doubt any at all though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Whoa, throttle back there Tommy: there are many ways to increase horsepower, from the relatively simple to full race-engine rebuild with Falicon crank, Carrillo rods, race valve job, and high-compression pistons.

You “threw” a Dyno jet kit on your old bike(s)? Jet kits can be a hairy bitch to tune properly. The situation involves multiple variables: altering fuel flow’s one thing, intake and exhaust another. Tuning all together usually takes awhile with trial-and-error. Hope you had a dyno handy and did a plug-chop. Half-ass jet kit jobs are far worse than nothing at all.

Pipes, air filters, and jet kits may (or may not) be of questionable value on recent street motorcycles, from a performance standpoint. Granted, most stock pipes weigh a ton and sound awful. Also, in the U.S. many bikes arrive deliberately lean to pass EPA restrictions. Many tuning shops worth a shit (there are several, including Mr. Kyle’s shop) offer “performance packages,” which may include: 1) pipe 2) jet kit 3) air filter 4) dyno tune 5) slotted cam sprockets 6) intake alignment.

EFI significantly eases the pain of tuning. Some of the aftermarket units out now (e.g, Power Commander III) allow tuning of all sorts of engine variables. A tuner can gamble a little and use pre-existing maps, or have the bike dyno’d, profiled, and tuned based on the specifics of that particular motor. A Triumph dealer in the Puget Sound area offers such a package for a nominal sum, e.g.: my buddy just picked up his new Triumph Tiger after their “performance tune” and notes greater horsepower (package includes before-and-after dyno printouts) plus a smoother powerband.

There are all kinds of ways to skin a cat, fellas: as a friend of mine likes to say, “pay now or pay later: it all evens out in the end.”

·
Registered
56 Posts
Too add comment about full exhaust systems... My mechanic advised me that installing new headers would be a waste of time and the best mods are a slip on and a K/N and rejet to suit. His reasoning behind this is that the stock pipes are a pretty good thing to start with and any tangable power gains would be well up in the revs and wouldnt justify the exspense.

Gareth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.