Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about the new ZZR's. I live in Canada, and am still quite young (only 18) and have been riding my little ZZR 250 for the past year [:I]. I am looking to move up a few cc's (still trying to keep it under 600 for insurance)and was wondering about a ZZR 600. I don't really like the true supersports, but I love the feel of the 600. Would it be a good next bike to have around for a few years? Do the 600's still get not bad gas mileage? (I know it won't be anywhere near my 250 :D). I love the centerstand on my 250, can you get one for a 600 or is there a better way to do chain and rear tire maintenance? Thanks for the help! (Will ask more questions as I think of them [8D])

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
Hiya Shiningsoul welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions as best we can i would say that a zzr600 would be a good bike for the next step in your motorcycling adventure :)

The zzr600 is a re-release of the 2002 ZX-6R in case you didnt already know that, it was advertised then as a 600 supersport and it did a bloody good job against the likes of the gsxr, cbr, r6 to name a few in its class. In the current form it is no different to how it was then and it still has the potential with a bit of tweaking to show plenty of the newer bikes how its done and yet it still retains its comfortable riding position compared to the more extreme ones around today.

The gas mileage should be adequate considering you have alot of power at hand and depending how you ride it you should be definately good for 150-180 miles if you are riding conservatively.

In regards to the center stand issue due to it being a sports bike ground clearance is of the utmost importance so having a center stand would lower that clearance considerably. The options you have for maintaining your chain and tyres are really only 2 things, paddock stands either with the bobbins screwed into the swingarm or using the lifting cups under the swingarm or a temporary center stand which is made by the likes of abba (UK company) which fits into the holes where the swingarm joins the frame and lifts the bike in the middle for you to deal with the front or the rear.

I hope this helps answer a few of your questions and if you decide on getting the 600 then I hope you enjoy it and ride safe.

Russ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JStutz2003
Well, the first question I would have to ask is, why do you want to move up?
Well, the reason I want to move up is I am getting kind of bored with my 250. I love the style and handling of the bike, but since my next purchase I will have to keep for a long time (going back to university) I don't think the 250 would be able to hold my interest for a few more years. I really just want a bike with more torque, and that usually means an increase in the horsepower as well.

Another question I have, does anyone know of any other bikes that may be good for me moving up? Thanks for the very welcoming posts and answers! :D

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Well i love my 98 zx6r, same as 98-02 just looks diff and 05-07. It is my first bike and i love it! Great power, pulls up easy, great accel, comfy. I have been riding all my life and racing quads and dirtbikes for a few years, so clutching etc came easy on the bike. When i hoped on it was no different then hopping on a new mx bike or something just using everythign i know and putting it to the test of the new riding style. After the first 10-20 miles i had it down. But anyways, you should be fine with the zzr, and there is quite a bit of aftermarket support like rearsets, wheels, carbon fiber parts, pipes etc so you can always fix what you dont like and sense you are jumping from a 2 cylinder, you will like the smoothness of the four!
Ben

·
Registered
228 Posts
I love my 2002 ZX6R. It's fast, looks good, comfy, and gets good gas milege. It was also my first bike. With State Farm (no sure if State Farms are located in Canada) my insurance is only $37/mo. I'm 19 and have a clean record. I'm glad I didn't get a 250 or 500 as my first bike, cuz knowing me, I would have gotted bored with it within a weeks time. Whatever you ride, wear protective gear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"I really just want a bike with more torque, and that usually means an increase in the horsepower as well."

LOL! It will ALWAYS mean an increase in horsepower. Any time torque goes up, so does horsepower. In fact, no matter what your torque at the engine is, your torque at the wheel will always be highest at peak horsepower at any given vehicle speed.

Why are you bored with the 250? Do you typically scrape pegs and spend all your time going through turns at redline? I'm just wondering. I see too many people "upgrade" after learning how to ride in a straight line, only to have their learning come to a halt because the bike is more than they can handle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
LOL, easy on him now, JK! anyways, at least you started out small and starting to work your way up. some beginners I know jumped on 1000cc right away because they think that it's a man thing and that's how they get in big trouble. you would have a blast on zzr600. it is sporty but yet comfortable on the long haul with added cheap insurance. ride safe![:M86]

·
Registered
532 Posts
take a msf class if you havent already and just ride safe and RESPECT the bike and you should be able to ride anything you want

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by Shiningsoul
Another question I have, does anyone know of any other bikes that may be good for me moving up? Thanks for the very welcoming posts and answers! :D
Have you thought about the ER-6n/650R? It's a parallel twin (like the ZZR250) but with much more torque. It's also fun to ride, and should be cheap to insure, especially if you get the unfaired version.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies guys! I will try to reply to each persons comments.

To ZX6R_rider:
Yeah, I actually am with State Farm here. My insurance would be the Canadian $ equivalent of what you pay in the US. I also have full gear, so no worries there.

To JStutz2003:
Thanks for asking the hard questions! Glad to hear not all people are into the buy a huge bike then crash it thing. Actually, I just got back from a 500km ride today. I ride my poor 250 most of the time at 120-130, and trying to pass those big semi's on the road gets to be a hastle with the little power. And honestly, before you scrap the footpegs on a 250, the center stand hits the ground, which is why mine is pretty beat up. I have been around bikes since I was three, and watched my best friend crash his brand new 04 gsx-r750 cause he couldn't handle it, so I learned quickly that you need to learn in order to move up. I have taken two training courses, basic and expert, and after riding my 250 for a year, I am getting to the point where I have done everything it can do for me.

To cheetahflyer:
I have taken two courses provided by the best school in Calgary (city I live in). In fact, I only have a motorcycle license, so I ride everyday and know what to watch for.

To Nigel:
We have the 650R in Canada, but it only comes faired. The bikes here were actually recalled because of a missing part, and I rode one, unfortunately, it has a very annoying vibration between 2000 and 5000 rpm in all gears. As for the insurance, it is based on CC's in Canada... which is highly retarded, but to insure a 650R is more then a ZZR600.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ah, poo.

My opinion on this is:

If you've been riding the ZZR250 for a year (which is what I also did), and you've been happy with it, but you've reached the point where you know exactly what the bike will do in any given situation, then the ZZR-600 will be a great bike to replace the 250, and it will keep you amused for the next few years.

Just remember that it's throttle needs a bit more respect than the 250's does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by bikerboy24

Get a Gixer 1000cc - that help out with the boredom [:p]

no don't joking
No offence, but I don't need that much power. Besides, I passed my training course on a 636 ninja, and ended up buying a 250 ZZR (also known as a 250 ninja) and I am a kawi boy for life! [^]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Shiningsoul. You're doing it right. You started on a great bike and from what you're telling us, you've got a good handle on riding. Someone already mentioned it, but if you haven't taken the MSF's Basic Rider Course, you should. I recommend the course to everyone - even people who've been riding for many years. You may not learn anything new, but it's a good refresher for basic skills and chances are you WILL learn something.

To answer your question, I think a ZZR would be a perfect fit for you. It's got plenty of power to keep you entertained. (enough to get you into trouble at 150MPH+ as well)

There are TONS of aftermarket parts available as she's a re-release. I purchased one brand-spankin'-new-out-of-the-box in March of this year. She was broken in with 1000 miles on the clock by April, and I've put nearly 5000 miles on her this season. (just shy of a miracle here in Alaska - There's only two major roads)

I've loved every minute. I nearly cried the day I dropped her off the rear-stand in the garage. It wasn't too bad, a little rash on the left side...but now she has "character." (Luckily I've got a silver one....the scratches don't really show unless you look really really close.)

Anyway, you can't go wrong with this bike. I understand how you feel, you want to move up, you don't want the "buzziness" of a two-cylinder, you need a bit more oomph. The ZZR will deliver in all of those areas. It's a rock solid platform and you've got an awesome resource here with KawiForums. The folks here can help you with nearly any problems you encounter.

Go buy it. You won't regret it.

Oh yeah.......buy lots of gear and wear it!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
zzr600= great bike, plenty of real world power/handling, and is still sexy for an older design. I love my zzr, and will probably have it for quite a while barring theft or accident.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies guys. As long as nothing brand new that totally catches my eye for 07 comes out, I have a ZZR600 in ebony pre-ordered!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.