Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, they run cold. I have a '95. The guys at Factory Pro said it would run better if you block off enough of the radiator to get it to run 1/3 to 1/2 the way to the middle mark. I have about half of my radiator blocked with a piece of plastic cut for a binder that is 5" x 11" and it is running about right in the 90+ degree weather of south Texas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Of the 8 bikes i've had over the years, this 97 6r is the coldest running bike i've ever had. It takes a good 10 minutes to warm up before a ride. I've never had the temp guage even get to the half-way mark and with highway cruising the needle hovers about an 1/8th of an inch above the C. Does everyone elses 95-97 act like this? Anyone with some insight please let me know.

BWARE

·
Registered
2 Posts
ha, me too. I've got a '95 and it runs really cold, temp gauge just above the 'C'. and like I said in my first post, I blocked off 1/3 of my rad with a piece of cardboard, so now the temps usually hit half way during city driving. dips to 1/3 on the highway, but that's still warmer that what it would've been. coincidentally, this trick gave me a lot better mpg, though I was getting really crappy mpg to begin with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the input fellas, sounds like its the nature of these motorcycles. Has anyone been told or know why these models do this. Thermostat, coolant etc..... or any means to correct it other than radiator blocking.

BWARE

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A different thermostat would be the ideal way to cure the problem but I was not able to come up with one. Maybe someone will have some information on a thermostat with a higher than stock opening temperature.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I guess mine has the same problem, now that I think about it. Since it's my first bike I never would have guessed...

The only thing that a Gixxer hurts is my soul!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Got the same response about blocking it off, I have a Wileyco pipe and when I'm running about half way up the temp gauge , the damn thing gets a nice deep throaty roar. Anybody have problems with jetting a 97 btw? The guy @ the shop said they used a different set of carbs for that year. Had to get the race jets (1.7 kit I think)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not positive but I think the carbs are the same '95-'97. Factory Pro make several jet kits but I have the 1.7 and it sure does a nice job. The bike pulls smoothly from 2,000 rpm to red line with no flat spots. At about 9,000 it is like somebody lit the fuse. My gas mileage also went from about 35 to 40.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.