Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall Whats the top speed you have gotten your 9's up to? I got my 94 up to 185 with vance& hines full exaust, stage 2 jet, sprockets (dont rember the teeth), and I weighed 240 lbs at the time. Plus the valves needed to be done bad and the rings were about shot, and my cams were lobed bad. Blew the motor couple months later due to bad gas. Thats how I know it had those problems.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It probaby wasn't really at 185... the odometers are off a considerable amount at those speeds. I just got mine on the road yesterday and I'm trying to really respect it, but I think the claimed top speed is 168.

I did have it up to 70 mph today in first gear at 11k rpm... dad was next to me on the honda shadow and I just wanted to show him how crazy this thing really is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If any one knows hom much the spedos are off on a cable driven 94-97 let me know. I was also running with my boys 02 zx7 wich toped out at 175 only thing he had done was a slip on and I was steadly creaping away

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You probably saw 175 if you were lucky, but I don't know because that is an older 9r. I have heard hte speedos can be off as much as 10 percent, which sounds ridiculous. I think the percentage of error is magnified as speed increases.

Either way, its still a blast to get up into that range.

·
Registered
78 Posts
An '02 ZX9R has a 1mph higher top speed than a '97 ZX9R. Thats if their both stock! A '97 ZX9R has a 167mph top speed. A '02 at 168mph.

http://sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/

If you have a full exhaust, jet kit, and an after market air filter, plus you have not changed the gearing. You should be able to hit 175- 180mph real speed. It would indicate 190+. I know 3 guys with ZX9's that hit over 190mph. But you do have to take it over redline in sixth gear to do it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well I'm down one in the front and at the rev limiter in 6th is 165mph via GPS. And speedo reads close to 190mph.

Stock gearing will do what is said on Sport Rider is 170mph. Cant do any more unless you go down in the rear or up in the front. And how do you raise the rev limiter???

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I would rather lose a few miles top end and not have the bike in the red zone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
redline is at 12,000 on mine. It revs smoothly until 13,300. So at red line in 6th is about 170, then (if you have the power) over redline you should hit atleast 175+

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by ZX9-R Man
redline is at 12,000 on mine. It revs smoothly until 13,300. So at red line in 6th is about 170, then (if you have the power) over redline you should hit atleast 175+
If you ever had your bike on the dyno you will see the Tach is off by about a 1k. The limiter is at 12,200.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
I've had mine up to 168 (indicated) and there was still plenty left on the tach (was a few grand left until redline). I've never clocked it with the GPS, but that's a much more reliable way to go than the speedo, which will typically be 10% off at most speeds; the higher the reading, the larger the error (in MPH).

·
Registered
442 Posts
165 (indicated) I had a VW turbo golf trying to run me over at the time. I was catching up the group I was riding with pretty quick and tapped the brakes to slow down. When I look in the mirror the Golf was about 1 1/2 ft from my rear tire. We stopped at the gas station a little ways up the road and the Golf pulled in asking why I flipped him off, So I asked him why he was trying to run me over. About that time the rest of the guys I was riding with (Huge guys that look like they just got out of prison) huddled around his car and pretty much scared the shit out of him. He shut up and left.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by Ncboost
Well I'm down one in the front and at the rev limiter in 6th is 165mph via GPS. And speedo reads close to 190mph.

Stock gearing will do what is said on Sport Rider is 170mph. Cant do any more unless you go down in the rear or up in the front. And how do you raise the rev limiter???
interesting. didnt think there was much room for anything more than a genuine 170mph (~190mph indicated) in the stock gearing ....

do you have any mods?

i would love to see what genuine GPS measured top speed a 9R with a full system, jet kit, advancer, filter etc could do with the right gearing :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fast enough I suppose, 99 zx9 full akro sys, factory kit,1+in rear, had the rev limiter poppin in 6th after pulling away from an 01 gixx 1k :D!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ive had an idicated 176 bone stock. i weigh'd about 200 at the time. She pulled like a bat out of hell up to 160 took just as long to get to 176, needle wasn't done climbing but i had to slow to 150 for the highway exspansion joint. as for speedo accuracy if a speedo is off 10% it's through the entire range. Meaning if its off 10% at 60 its off 10% @ 160. I run by the unmanned radar traps alot and my bike reads within 2 mph @ 50 mph. At my indicated 176 i i think i was running mid 160's. It was loud and windy, anything over 140 my visor starts to fog up, i think it's my increased breathing. Plus only 2 things cross my mind at that speed. Front tire failure and deer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They say you have to account for rear tire slippage, which at high speeds is roughly 5%. My bike has a cable driven speedo on the front wheel. So mine wouldn't have tire slippage to acount for. So how far do you think mine would be off? At 80mph its right on.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Originally posted by ZX9-R Man
They say you have to account for rear tire slippage, which at high speeds is roughly 5%. My bike has a cable driven speedo on the front wheel. So mine wouldn't have tire slippage to acount for. So how far do you think mine would be off? At 80mph its right on.
i don't think my rear tire is still "breaking loose" at 160mph. and if it was i would think i would feel the rearend wiggle. i suppose even tire brand and tread life will effect speedos. I went from a bald battalax to a brand new 208 and the bike defi felt taller. You would think with all the technology that goes into new Bikes. Making them faster lighter more stable, someone would design an accurate way to measure the bikes speed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.