Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that simply having experience in riding a bicycle will help me to ride a motorbike. I've just read about tips that you should know before starting to ride a motorcycle.
" Being experienced with the bicycle doesn't make you experienced with a motorcycle (they are both 2 wheels but are handled very different, mainly because of the ride's weight and speed). I underestimated the bike's weight and leaned too much while standing still, damn is it heavy. Also pushing the bike for the first time... when I looked at other people it seemed so easy but it is darn heavy.
However, being a bicycle rider, I somewhat knew what kind of stuff not to do, or at least to watch out for, while riding on 2 wheels. E.g. jamming the front brakes too hard, turning the handle too much, not leaning enough in a turn... that kind of stuff.
I'm not sure if it's because of my cycling experience but I found out keeping straight and balanced very easy. I believe this is because of the motorcycle's weight and speed/traction and has nothing to do with my previous bicycle riding. I might or might not be wrong, though. "
I'm interested in what people think about this. And whether you remember your first time on a bicycle/motorcycle. Does everybody was riding a bicycle first?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I am new to the forum, I own a Kawasaki 250R for 6 weeks now (I put 1,000 kms on it).
I feel that my bicycling experience did not help me in any way.
An example would be that on a motorcycle, you mostly use your front brakes, whereas on a bicycle, it's unsafe to use only your front brakes.
in Quebec, it is mandatory to take a motorcycle driving class which I passed (obviously) but thought the class itself was hard, (considering I can drive manual) but it really felt like I was learning something new (and still learning).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts