Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
For the Kawasaki Ninja 650R finally the day has come for a suspension modification. After a few weeks we finally tracked down a supplier who could offer a decent suspension for the Kawasaki Ninja 650R. We all know that the Kawasaki Ninja 650R is Thailand most affordable sportsbike, but it also comes with a suspension what should be improved to make the machine more rideable.We finally found a supplier, YSS Thailand, who was capable of offering a better rear shock for the Kawasaki Ninja 650R. The YSS MZ506-290TR-09, a gas-buffered, hydraulic shock with the capability of adjusting about everything you could want. For some, the amount of adjustability can be a bit overwhelming.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Kawasaki-Ninja-650R-Suspension-Modified

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
For the result of improvement, was it worth the wait, the money! It took a trained mechanic a few hours to complete the installation. The total installation time could have been reduced to probably one hour, if we did let our mechanic do his work.

When the final bolt was torqued down and everything was buttoned up, we took the Kawasaki Ninja 650R for a ride. Already without any adjustments to the preload and rebound we already left more confident riding the Ninja 650R, with a few tweaks of our trusty mechanic we were doing twisty roads like we could never do before. The modified Kawasaki Ninja 650R can drop his unmodified 650R brothers like a bad habit. And with a good rider a the controls, the modified Kawasaki Ninja 650R squirts from corner to corner quicker than a unmodified Kawasaki Ninja 650R

· Registered
28,880 Posts
On the old 650 forum there was a guy from Germany who had a YSS shock on his bike. Tony BKK here may have a YSS shock as well, he is in Thailand.

I am running a Hyperpro triple clicker myself, I love it.

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
For the result of improvement, was it worth the wait, the money! It took a trained mechanic a few hours to complete the installation. The total installation time could have been reduced to probably one hour, if we did let our mechanic do his work.

When the final bolt was torqued down and everything was buttoned up, we took the Kawasaki Ninja 650R for a ride. Already without any adjustments to the preload and rebound we already left more confident riding the Ninja 650R, with a few tweaks of our trusty mechanic we were doing twisty roads like we could never do before. The modified Kawasaki Ninja 650R can drop his unmodified 650R brothers like a bad habit. And with a good rider a the controls, the modified Kawasaki Ninja 650R squirts from corner to corner quicker than a unmodified Kawasaki Ninja 650R

What absolute nonsense- installing this shock takes about 5-10 minutes, not a few hours...

Two bolts, remove shock and install new shock. Job done.

FWIW that "motorcycle.in.th" site is a bit of a bad joke here in Thailand... :smash:

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
wow nice how much is it?? whats the review on this?
Retail price here in Thailand is about 12,000 Thai Baht or roughly US$400

Are there any YSS distributors in the US?

Progressive spring, stepless pre-load and rebound damping make it a hell of a lot better than stock.

In this pic height adjustable YSS Versys shock on the left and YSS EX650 shock on the right:

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony you race your bike on track very often...
As a result,you NEED a more sophisticated rear shock with lot of adjustment.

Would you recomemend this shock to someone that drives 100% on street situations and wants beter ride quality than stock?

· Registered
28,880 Posts
A few hours to swap shocks, wtf. I timed it the last time I did it, 8 minutes, including the time it took to take it on and off stands.

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Tony you race your bike on track very often...
As a result,you NEED a more sophisticated rear shock with lot of adjustment.

Would you recomemend this shock to someone that drives 100% on street situations and wants beter ride quality than stock?
Honestly it really depends on how you ride. If you just cruise around and never push it chances are you might never find the limits of the stock suspension. But if you do like to push it from time to time you've probably already discovered that the ER6n / Ninja 650R is easily unsettled by rough surfaces in corners.
So before you upgrade your suspension you have to ask yourself if you are unhappy with the way the bike rides and handles as it is now?
Happy Trails!
Tony

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
question do they have to know your weight before they make it for you or it comes in standard setting? looks promising... whats your review on this tony?
I don't believe YSS builds custom shocks, but they do offer different weight springs.

My review? As I said in my previous post: "Progressive spring, stepless pre-load and rebound damping make it a hell of a lot better than stock."

Ride On!

Tony

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Honestly it really depends on how you ride. If you just cruise around and never push it chances are you might never find the limits of the stock suspension. But if you do like to push it from time to time you've probably already discovered that the ER6n / Ninja 650R is easily unsettled by rough surfaces in corners.
So before you upgrade your suspension you have to ask yourself if you are unhappy with the way the bike rides and handles as it is now?
Happy Trails!
Tony
I have already found this Tony.
Rough or slippery surfaces surfaces, set limitations on stock suspension (bumps especially...)

· Registered
118 Posts
Can anyone confirm the part # used on an 09+ ER6? This thread says YSS MZ506-290TR-09. Rep from YSS told me MZ506-285TRL. Seems like an extra $30 for length adjustability is unnecessary. And 290 seems to be right length from what I can find on interwebs.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Can anyone confirm the part # used on an 09+ ER6? This thread says YSS MZ506-290TR-09. Rep from YSS told me MZ506-285TRL. Seems like an extra $30 for length adjustability is unnecessary. And 290 seems to be right length from what I can find on interwebs.
This part number is for HONDA according to YSS site :

Y.S.S. :: World Class Suspension ::

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.