Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this over at z1000forum.com in response to a person asking about a Race Tech front fork rebuild.

I too have been debating about which way I wanted to go. Below represents what I interpret the pros and cons to be.

This list below came from a 2007 article on motorcycle-usa.com. I have gone to racetech.com to get current prices. Current prices are listed first, 2007 prices from the article are listed in parentheses for the trivia buffs.
source:Project Z1000 Final Installment - Motorcycle USA
Racetech rebuild
current prices from: RT - Digital Product Search
Race Tech Suspension Parts List
Fork Gold Valve: $179.99 ($154)
Fork springs: $114.99 ($109.99)
Fork Oil: $29.99 ($37.47) - interesting that it is cheaper now
Rebuild fork: $125.00 ($65)
Front end total:
$449.97 ($336.46)

Shock Gold Valve: $169.99 ($154.99)
Shock spring: $119.99 ($109.99)
New shock collar: $2.99 ($12.99) also cheaper now...
Shock rebuild: $125.00 ($105)
Rear end total:
$417.97 ($382.97)

Total:
$867.94 ($750.42)

- When I had the racetech internals put into the suspension on my track bike, the shop did put in new bushings. However, that bike's suspension was thrashed when I got it. so maybe add another $25 to front end parts list.

I have been interested in doing the fork swap instead. All you have to do is pull out the old forks, put in the 636 forks, and pretty much bolt it all back together.
I also took some time last night to look through the parts needed for the 05-06 636 fork swap. Even though the spring rates and valving for the 636 forks might be off by a bit, I have read many posts that suggest it is quite an improvement. I like the idea of complete adjustability that comes with that mod, and the better brakes. Whether you go for the fork swap or the racetech rebuild, I would take the bike to a track day and have the suspension adjusted by the tuners there. Those guys will work with you all day to get the set up right for about $40. What could be better than riding the track for a day AND getting the suspenders adjusted to your taste.

636 fork swap
For the zx6r forks on 2003-06 Z1000, you must have:
$225-05/06 zx6r front forks some with axel
$60-05/06 zx6r or 07/08 zx6r calipers
$20-05/06 zx6r axle
$12-2002 zx6r spacers
$120-custom brake lines
$75-zx6r radial master cylinder or better radial master cylinder
Total:
$512 - plus some $ for shipping costs.

I would also need to add a factory service manual to this list +/- $85 on the kawasaki factory site. Can't live without one of those....

use original z1000:
-front discs
-front wheel

It also looks like you can get a zx6r rear shock for about $50-60. Supposedly you can fit one of these with minimal machining of the shock. I think I read that one guy did it with a grinder.

The long term plan for me is to get the 636 forks rebuilt by racetech as well, so that the bike is suited for me as well as it can be. My reasons for wanting to go this route are:
1. after having the suspension rebuilt and set up on my track bike, it feels like that bike will ride itself. With only 7-8 trackdays under my belt it is nice to have a bike with suspension that can absorb some of my mistakes.

2. 3 way adjustability vs. 2 way. Not that I can do anything meaningful with these adjustments on my own, but with the help of a suspension tuner, I feel like this will give me better handling.

3. With the 636 set up, the inital cost is pretty competitive compared with the racetech rebuild. This also gives me a chance to upgrade now, and then when I get some more money, upgrade the internals. In the end I will get a great set up, and I don't have to come up with all the money to do it at once.

4. Better brakes - being able to stop is cool.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I would be interested to hear what others think about this. I have read many threads on the topic, but more feedback would be great before my wallet and I take the plunge.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
You can do the ZX6R front end for cheaper than $500. Shop around the classifieds here and I'm sure you'll find a deal. I scored my 07/08 forks for $200 shipped (here), and the 09 CBR entire front braking system for $140 shipped (eBay). The deals are out there. Don't forget a fender as well. Brake lines you can save money and have Apex Brakes make custom ones for you for around $60 shipped. Thats what I have on my fighter and they work great. They also made my rear line as well for, I think, $20. The ZX6R shock takes a little grinding to fit, but it's something you can easily do yourself at home. Keep searching Z1000-forum.com since they have a lot more info than this forum does for your bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the hints Larry. So I chose the 05-06 forks because from what I've read, it seems to not require anything like pressing a stem into some triples. I saw a set of '07 forks on a Z, but couldn't really figure out if he had to do anything like that. I am interested because it looked like he put some zx10 monoblock radially mounted calipers on them. Which I could really be into doing. Does any of that make sense?
Any insight is helpful, thanks.

BTW I used to live in Richmond, VA for 28 years or so.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
07/08 forks fit in the same trees as 03-08 ZX6R and the Z1000. All the forks for the ZX6R are interchangeable in the trees from 03-08. 09 they changed. 07/08 forks, stock, are better than stock 03-06. I say grab whatever ones you can find at the best price. The differences in the feel of the forks you'll likely never notice. 05-08 inner fork tubes are stronger than 03/04 also. Especially if you plan on doing a Racetech rebuild later on, get whichever forks you can get for the best price.

Remember ALS that the ZX6R forks are shorter than the Z1000, so expect your front end to sit a little bit shorter. The shorter front end should help the bike tip into turns a bit faster though, if you're into that sort of thing. The same front fender fits on the 05/06 and 07/08 ZX6R and 04/05 ZX10R. Just FYI.

Also I don't know if Kawasaki has gone to monoblock calipers yet. My CBR calipers are monoblocks and bite down hard. I got a killer deal on the entire setup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Calipers from ZX10 2008-2010 is a direct swap when using forks from ZX6R.They are better than older radial calipers because they are using 2 pads instead of 4. I have also installed a pair of 320mm rotors and I can't believe how strong the front brake is now."

This is a quote from rider forum post. The link has pics of a zx6r fork with zx10r brakes a short way down the page.
Z1K Parts Interchange List

Basically I would like to come up with the best handling and braking I can in a bolt up mod. I have little interest in making the engine on this bike produce more power, but I do want it to take corners, and stop better than it already does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts