Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.
Long time no post from me, but thought I'd start using this site again.
Right, I'm looking at putting a slipper clutch into my 2015 er6n and wanted to see if a z650 slipper clutch would fit. I've emailed Kawasaki spares / parts team but awaiting a reply. I believe it is possible as both z650 and er6 use the same engine and even clutch plates if I’m not mistaken. I don't need the whole clutch unit as I can just reuse the clutch plates, just parts to convert the er6 clutch into z650 slipper.
You may ask why the need for a slipper clutch, well I believe the er6 be even better with the presence of one
Yes I know you can get sigma and yoyodyne, but can't justify the price just for a little project.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey sysi I am actually looking for the same thing for the same reason. Would love it if there is a way could keep in touch with progress

·
Registered
7 Posts
What front end are you using. Im looking at the versys swing arm swap soon too. Been told not so straight forward on the 16 plate though, any advice. Want to change the shock the same time if pos

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check the link in my sig for details. I’d be happy to answer your question there, maybe leave this for the slipper convo.
Ok so I'm here to pic your brain once more. I have bought the clutch in the attached pic. Can you confirm thats correct. Is there anything you can think should do while doing this swap, also anything in particular I should watch out for. I did look on YouTube to see if anyone recorded doing it but no joy.
Thanks
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Clutch replacement procedure should be as per the service manual for the 2017 650.
I can’t offer any advice beyond that. I will say that the picture you e posted doesn’t look like it has the ramped slipper component of the clutch. More pics are required to be sure but have a look at the clutch parts diagramand see which parts you may be missing if any

·
Registered
289 Posts
IM definitely not an expert but I think the differences are from that piece and "out"
I think that this is the list of parts that are definitely different between the new and old clutch design(I compared to a 2010 and Ive listed the cost in Australian dollars (US EXCH is 0.62 approx)
PartDescriptionQtyUnit $Sub Total
13187002901 PLATE-CLUTCH OPERATING1141.60141.60View
13272130301 PLATE120.8020.80View
16007073601 SEAT-SPRING312.8538.55View
92145173201 SPRING39.9529.85View
92154099701 BOLT,UPSET,6X3012.902.90View

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here’s a video explaining how the kawasaki slipper clutch works. The basket you have has positions for 6 springs and the new slipper has 3. The clutch you purchased is not the correct one at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have installed a 2017 Z650 slipper into my 2007 650R. It was plug and play as I bought the whole clutch basket and all components. Just swapped the basket and contents.

I will say it does not look like you got a slipper clutch part though. The slipper clutch only has three spring bolts holding the plate on, not five.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have installed a 2017 Z650 slipper into my 2007 650R. It was plug and play as I bought the whole clutch basket and all components. Just swapped the basket and contents.

I will say it does not look like you got a slipper clutch part though. The slipper clutch only has three spring bolts holding the plate on, not five.
Can you confirm i need everything circled in this diagram ?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most kawi bits universal, Ian gonna be hopefully installing slipper clutch in my.versys 650. Iam interested to see if the basket can be reused cause that the most expensive part

1 - 20 of 27 Posts