Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so ive got a z750 j6f 2005 with a K&N and carbon can co exhaust are the only performance mods, its been fine over all the sunny weather we had then all of a sudden when it started getting nippy at night it just stopped starting on the button in the morning! it will bump start fine and easy enough then once warmed it starts perfect on the button??? ive hit a dead end with it, ive tried charging the battery, checked the plugs which looked fine no oil deposits nice brown colour and sparking, ive run red X through the clean the injection system, ive cleaned the air filter with the K&N kit, im not too sure were to go from here, any advice or things the try ect would be greatly appreciated! im getting abit tired of jogging with it every time i go out lol :wacko:
cheers
Sean

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Is the starter motor turning and it's just not firing up or is there nothing from the starter motor when you press the button?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the starter motor turning and it's just not firing up or is there nothing from the starter motor when you press the button?
sorry forgot to mention that bit :p yes when i push the button its turning just not firing, as soon as i get it going though i can cut it off and itll fire straight back up off the button

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I was going to say check the choke - then i realised it's fuel injected :buzzsaw:

I'm not too good with FI bikes. Do they have cold-start sensors like cars? If so, i'm guessing there's a problem with this. Basically it's not "richening" the mixture when it's cold like it should. That's my guess anyway!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it has a "fast idle" lever which ive checked and its fine ive never had to use it all through last winter, it may have a cold start system, what would it be a sensor or something?

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
Well since your FI can you hear the system pressurize when you turn the key? When you hit the button nothing happens yes? Un plug the switch and see if there is continuity through it. If yes go through the starting circuit and see how far power goes through the system. If you have continuity at the switch but no power to it than find where it stops and replace. And if you have power up to and threw the switch than check to see where it stops after the switch. Than come back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds technical, after abit of probing around the bike i started it my bumping it then hit the kill swtich straight away and tried to start it again no throttle or choke and nothing, then i tried with choke nothing so then i tried no choke and abit of throttle and it fire up, so ive figured its not getting enough fuel........only problem is i have no idea what it is thatcontrolls the fueling, after reading through the service manual it tell me its either the water temp sensor which seems fine or the atmopheric pressure sensor which controlls it from cold starting but im not sure how to check that?a

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
If you have a service manual it should tell you how to test them individually. Or you can call around to a dealer and see who will charge you the least to test your system. They'll just hook up a BOB to your bike and in 15 minutes tell you the problem, however they will charge you an hour of work to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive changed the plugs to standard ones and nothing... im thinking its something to do with the atmopheric pressure sensor, not working prop so its not firing enough fuel in

·
Registered
15 Posts
sounds like the battery, and here is why.
When you are cranking the engine and the voltage drops the injectors fail to see enough voltage preventing the solenoid to open. Fuel is therefore not getting through. The other issue with voltage drop is weakened or no spark.
So although there maybe enough amps to crank the motor the voltage may only be 10Volts or less when cranking.

The engine will therefore respond to a jump start.
This also generates electric to the battery and so the bike will start whilst the voltage is high.

A deep cycle charge of the battery maybe all that is needed but modern batteries that live in an environment of vibration tend to break down quickly and so replacement is the best option for trouble free riding.

The other thing to look at is the rectifier, if this has blown a diode it may over volt when charging and then allow a drain on the battery when engine is off. in this case it best to change the rectifier and the battery at the same time as the battery will have become damaged by the over charging.

Regards Harry B.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Post is now 11 1/2 years old so I bet he's sorted it or set light to it ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts