Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Phoenix in January, and for the time being here in NY I need a bike. Any bike I buy now is either going to have to be sold or shipped out to Arizona in January, so I'm not sure if I should buy something more expensive or cheap. I don't want to lose a lot of money on this, and I'd only ship it if I loved the bike I bought, which probably won't happen. There's a 1995 CBR900RR with 20K and just about every possible extra on it, along with service records for every 2000 miles. Or theres a 1995 Ninja 250 with 1100 miles on it and no extras. The CBR is $5K, but I could probably get it for $4700 or $4600. The Ninja 250 I could probably get for $1800 or $1500. I'm just looking for something to ride for the eight or ten weeks I have left in NY, so my question to you guys is, which one has the better reasale value? The 250 or the 900RR?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 250!!!!! For some reason they seem to stay in the same resale price range. I believe that since they are so cheap to begin with they stay close to the same price because anything less than what they go for would be giving them away.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i would think the 900 would be easier to sell cause most people want to have a bigger bike. i may be wrong but i don't think there are tons of people that own just a 250 or want to buy one

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, my manhood is at stake here! It's only for 8 weeks, and as I've never ridden a 250, I don't know what its like. Here's a pic of both anyway. The CBR pic isn't the bike but its' as close as I could find.

1995 CBR900RR
-Steering Damper
-Full D&D exhaust
-Air Filter
-Jet Kit
-LP Speed Screen
-Frame sliders
-New tires, brakes, Racing chain and sprockets.
-20,000 Miles
http://hayabusa.bikepics.com/hon-cbr900-95-bikepics-20068.jpg

1995 Ninja 250

-1100 miles
-Female owned (she might be hot too!;))
-Barley broken in
http://www.xmission.com/~roachie/ninja250/otto1.jpg

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
man the cbr looks so much sweeter!! forget the 250! get the cbr:D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See where the black is on the CBR? I think that's the Canadian version or something, because the bike I'm looking at is white there instead of black. But it still looks sweet. The only problem is the 20k miles, plus the other 5k that I'd put on. Do you think I could sell a bike like that for $4000? I want to try to lose as little as possible when I sell it in 8 or 10 weeks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but why are you buying a bike now if you live in the big apple..isn't it getting cold there and ready to snow? I wouldn't bother to buy anything unless you are taking it with you to Arizona..which you can ride in all yeah long...but whatever...

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are more people than you think that are looking to purchase a 250. You have to way the time you are going to spend on the machine, how much money you have at your disposal, and how important it is to look cool. I don't think your manhood is at stake, but I might be looking at it from a self confident, mature point of view. I could care less what others think of me, especially since I know that I could probably get on a 250 and spank some as in the canyon just because I ride better. Hey that sounds like fun!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it.. you're leaving in 8 weeks? Why don't you just ride a bicycle or take transit around, and get the bike you want back in Texas.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been riding a bicycle for about a month now and there's no jobs locally so I need something to get around on. I don't have a car or anything, so transportation is a huge problem. I have to buy something so I can get a job and get to a store and get places. That and I can't stand not riding anymore, so I'm going to buy something. I ride all year round anyway, so the time of year only effects the amount of bikes available to buy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
NinjaRider, 250 equals fun for about 1.5 hours. After that, boredom. The RR is an awesome bike. You shouldn't have any trouble getting 4 grand out of it. The only bad thing I can think of is the D&D exhaust - it's loud and obnoxious IMHO. Of course, other people think it's great. I have a full arrow system on my 900RR. 250s have a limited market. RR's are in demand by all kinds of different riders, including stunters. I wouldn't worry about the mileage as long as the valves were adjusted on schedule; a well maintained RR will run forever.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ummm, on second thought, why not buy a car? It's heck of a lot more practical. Probably also much easier to sell in January. I wouldn't want to try to sell a bike in January.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.