Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am all set on getting a Muzzy 998 kit to have it installed during the winter. I am adding a full system Muzzy and K&N at the same time. A friend of mine tells me that the zlock big bore kit is better as far as sealing is concerned to the factory bottom end. Anyone know about this? What would you suggest?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Go zlock. Muzzy just bores over a stock head. Zlock makes there own. Muzzy bores it over to much and from what I hear, thats why they blow up. The walls are to thin for the heat

·
Registered
803 Posts
Muzzy's are just fine, i have over 10,000 miles without any problems at all... Speaking from someone that actually has one....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Both zlock and muzzy over bore the stock cylinder head. Only superbikemike actually machinces a new cylinder block for the 98/99. Zlock kit is a slighly smaller bore then muzzy (I think 3.5mm Zlock 4mm muzzy), both both can present heat problems in heavy traffic, but who want to be stuck in traffic. If you have a commuter bike that spend a lot of time in traffic leave the overbore alone. Track or out on the rode driving take you pick. The problem is the radatior was designed to suppress the heat of a 900cc motor not much more. Although there are a few trick that can hel; ie. hotter plugs, muzzy's aluminum fan blade.

·
Registered
803 Posts
true.... with my Muzzy i stayed overheating in traffic.... once on the highway or interstate it cooled right back down.... Engine ICE helps a world of a difference....Now i run about 168 on the highway and never gets over 210 in traffic even sitting, before it would get 230-240 in traffic...even seen the dreaded HI flashing on there once..... Also i ran a manual toggle switch for my fan so i can kick it on if I get stuck in traffic.... I havent had a problem since....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by knowledge
I am all set on getting a Muzzy 998 kit to have it installed during the winter. I am adding a full system Muzzy and K&N at the same time. A friend of mine tells me that the zlock big bore kit is better as far as sealing is concerned to the factory bottom end. Anyone know about this? What would you suggest?
You can do the Wiseco 973 for less cost OR JE has the same 998 piston thats in a flat top for lower compression of 12.5 or so . They call it the 997 and when tuned it will actually make a small bit more hi-rpm power than the domed Muzzy's " JE " with slight but negligable loss in midrange . Flame propengation at work there ;)

Scott at skracing.com is a JE dealer and can get a better deal on replating the block at Millenium than people off the street can .

Forget the KN or the BMC . Stock air filter on these 9R's flows better . Ditch any ideas of an ignition advancer would be another suggestion . Be easy on amount of material removed from the head when surfacing would be another suggestion and do a little valve unshrouding in the combustion chamber while your in there . Match the intake runners to the boots and exhaust port work but I'd leave the intake alone and run stock cams on stock lobe centers . Might buy a new cam chain and just bolt the cams back in .

Then again , stock head works well with big bore .

Leo Vince and other Akroprovic dealers on the net are closing out the 9R full exhaust . Check around and you will be surprised at some of the pricing .

Get it tuned up well and you won't have to be a flyweight to thump on those piped 12R's .[8D]

·
Registered
311 Posts
Originally posted by mountainmotor

You can do the Wiseco 973 for less cost OR JE has the same 998 piston thats in a flat top for lower compression of 12.5 or so . They call it the 997 and when tuned it will actually make a small bit more hi-rpm power than the domed Muzzy's " JE " with slight but negligable loss in midrange . Flame propengation at work there ;)

Scott at skracing.com is a JE dealer and can get a better deal on replating the block at Millenium than people off the street can .

Forget the KN or the BMC . Stock air filter on these 9R's flows better . Ditch any ideas of an ignition advancer would be another suggestion . Be easy on amount of material removed from the head when surfacing would be another suggestion and do a little valve unshrouding in the combustion chamber while your in there . Match the intake runners to the boots and exhaust port work but I'd leave the intake alone and run stock cams on stock lobe centers . Might buy a new cam chain and just bolt the cams back in .

Then again , stock head works well with big bore .

Leo Vince and other Akroprovic dealers on the net are closing out the 9R full exhaust . Check around and you will be surprised at some of the pricing .

Get it tuned up well and you won't have to be a flyweight to thump on those piped 12R's .[8D]
Mountain- Are you suggesting doing without a +4 advancer in general, or only for people running big-bore kits?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mountain, please let us know more about this advancer comment, as I was told to dyno the bike with and without the +4 advancer. I have only dyno'd it with. It's only stock 900cc.

Also, it looks like I am too gonna be into the 973 kit this winter. I guess I gotta send the block to Millenium to be bored and plated. I was thinking of some mild porting and clean-up. Any ideas??

Thanks eh!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.