Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the link or remember who publshed the article on this shootout. i am looking for it but can't find it anywhere. the gsxr beat the vette on a road course by about 3 seconds i believe. thanks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Was it the one where the bike went from 0 to 100mph and back to 0 before the vette even got to 100? I think it was in cycle world a while back, but I tried looking for it in Google and the cycleworld website, but couldn't find it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
who cares? i dont get why someone would care about testing the two together? its like comparing an apple to an orange.. they are both completely different, but they both kick ass. My dads 02 vette z06 is absolutely a blast to drive on the track, as is my 03 zx6r. They are both fast, just different..

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
But don't you like the way the smug look on Corvette and Viper drivers goes away when you pull up beside them at a light. You can almost see it go limp.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mdsauve13 i know how fun it is drive a fast car, my bro has a 20001 ta that he autocrosses runs low 12's i just think it would be interesting to read how a top performing car holds against a top performing bike

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That was a good article. The GSXR1000 outperformed the Corvette in just about every way. And the fact that the same guy was piloting both was a plus. Just finding a guy that is accomplished in cars and on motorcycles is a feat in itself.

What if comes down to though is that it is much easier to drive a car fast than to drive a motorcycle fast especially a car like the Corvette with traction contol, abs, etc, etc.

But I can't afford a Corvette or a Viper or a . . . I can afford a GSXR1000 or a ZX-10R, even a new one.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yeah, if you hit a little bit of sand in a turn or don't take the perfect line through the corner you don't crash in a car. On a bike you have to really be experienced to be able to corner faster then a Vette probaly does.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i couldnt agree more with you guys... the bike has alot more potential to be fast but i bet 90% of riders out there would get a lower time on a tight roadcourse in a zo6 then they would on thier bike

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Umm, if you want to go fast, or rather if Kevin Schwantz wants to go fast in a car, he disables ALL those traction control systems, like they did in that comparo. They might save our asses, because we do dumb mistakes but they sure don't help real top drivers go any faster. On the street, in the hands of the average sport car driver the cages also have the advantage of keeping the driver relatively safe even if they do crash, at least when compared to riders.

The gixx was 7,8 seconds faster around Willow Springs and Schwantz said at the end that he might have been able to get a few tenths off of the 'vette's time if he had disabled the stability control system from the beginning, but no where near 8 seconds.

It says here Schwantz was 1,5 seconds under the SCCA-T1 (whatever that is) class record with the 'vette, and 0,5 seconds slower than the official record for a standard Viper.

According to this page http://www.motorcyclememories.com/magazines/magbyyr/m2002/2002.html
the story should have been in Motorcyclist, issue 4/1/2002.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by drumannewman
i couldnt agree more with you guys... the bike has alot more potential to be fast but i bet 90% of riders out there would get a lower time on a tight roadcourse in a zo6 then they would on thier bike
That's why bikes are so much more fun, you're the limiting factor for far longer than you would be with a car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just like mdsuave13 said, completely different worlds! I love my vette cuz it's fast basically insane. But when I got my bike the insanity level increased for me. I guess it's know that there in nothing around you when riding. There is nothing like racing in a car and beating another guy (I prefer vipers) and the same on bike riding a 2nd gear wheelie! Both make my ass pucker up and I smile ear to ear. :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Driving a car WELL(manual) at high speeds takes some skill aswell, flying in a car at 140mph can be an experiance in its self, and i don't care what anyone says most of the time u crash at 120+ in a car or on a bike you will probably not make it. (minus profesional race cars roll cages, restraint gear ect ect..)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
[:M14] to low center of gravity, wheelbase and aerodynamics that work, ultra high performance cars will always be faster around the track than the bike, that's just the way it is. ;)

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Yea, but then again a lot of bikes are fast, not a whole lot of cars (that i can afford anyway) are really made to perform like it.. Either way respect goes to both of them..

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yeah, ultimately cars are faster and I would say aerodynamics alone are the deciding factor. Rule of thumb: Good utilization of downforce = car is faster, negligeable downforce = bike is faster.

99,9999% of production cars, "super" or not, are slower around a track then your under 10k$ zx6r though. I have that 5th gear or top gear vid of murcielago vs 999s somwhere around here, not that it's the final statement on this, but it's a great vid as vids go.

btw, anyone have that japanese "race" with 6 cars, NSX, lambo, souped up rx7's and I think they had a beemer as well ;). The race where some of the cars, lambo and nsx I think, can't handle even four laps around a track.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
99,9999% of production cars, "super" or not, are slower around a track then your under 10k$ zx6r though.
There is no doubt about that :D! I just read an article in my new roadracing world mag, here it is.

NUMBERS...Lap time difference between 2004 Formula One and MotoGP:

Sepang, Mayaysia

Formula One pole position: Jaun Pablo Montoya, Williams-BMW, 1:34.223

MotoGP pole position: Valentino Rossi, Yamaha, 2:01.833

Lap Time Difference: 26.39 seconds

Catalunya, Spain

Formula One pole position: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 1:17.245

MotoGP pole position: Sete Gibernau, Honda, 1:42.450

Lap Time Difference: 25.146 seconds

Also, the average pole position difference between MotoGP and WSBK at the following tracks of Assen, Philip Island and Valencia in 2004 is 3.5906666 seconds.

Looks like bikes have a long way to go till they are on top :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Does anyone remember the article that had Rossi's bike versus the Honda F1? The car if you want to call it that won, and all the test were done on a track. Just something to remember, you can carry more speed through a turn on 4 wheels than on 2 its just more stable, but again its apples and oranges who cares. Just about any modern sportbike will kill any production high performance car on any given day. When you start talking about these super modded cars versus average sportbikes your going to lose. Ok nevermind I just saw natrona's post

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same thing in drag racing....

Top fuel dragsters are so much faster than any of the bikes.

Top fuel's are in the 4's, but bikes are running in the 7's.

However, as noted earlier, how many 10 second cars can you buy from the showroom with a warranty? How many can you buy for less than $12,000 ?

Mr Al.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.