Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,anybody heard of a race between the two,like an even race where both bikes were stock or just had slip-ons?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,037 Posts
not that i've seen, i saw two of go at it at the dragstrip here, 14 was in high 9's w/ a paper plate on it, and 10 was at very low tens, both stock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
I am on the middle of the fence between the two. I can afford one or the other, but not both. I will be keeping my 636 for twisties and daily driving. The 14 has an engine that is 35% BIGGER than the 10R, but the 14 makes nearly the same HP with roughly 30 more pounds of torque. The 14 weighs a hundred pounds more, so is 30 ft lbs of torque enough to make up for the extra weight?

I am somewhat leaning towards the 14. I put a LOT of miles on my lil 636, with veeeery frequent 2 up riding with my girl. I look at having a 636 and a 10R kinda like already having a V6 mustang, and then buying a V8 mustang. Basically the same thing and experience, just one is faster. I think the 14 would provide an altogether different way of riding.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,463 Posts
personally i am kinda in the same boat, about to buy a zx-10, but i already have a 2000 RC51 with a ton of mods, and a 2005 ZX6R with a ton of mods...The Zx-14 is far better at everything then the 10R except flicking it around in the twisties, but i have 2 for that already.
Also the 14 is somehing that is great for 2 up riding or just cruising, thats why i am leaning that way.
BIG & COMFY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
Originally posted by jdgun_13
The Zx-14 is far better at everything then the 10R except flicking it around in the twisties, but i have 2 for that already.
without owning either how do you know this??

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Originally posted by jdgun_13
personally i am kinda in the same boat, about to buy a zx-10, but i already have a 2000 RC51 with a ton of mods, and a 2005 ZX6R with a ton of mods...The Zx-14 is far better at everything then the 10R except flicking it around in the twisties, but i have 2 for that already.
Also the 14 is somehing that is great for 2 up riding or just cruising, thats why i am leaning that way.
BIG & COMFY
[:M35] oh god here we go...this is gonna be a flame war i can tell.

zx10edya:
i would think if your riding with your girl i would rather have the 14, cause i hate riding 2 up on the 6r...y do it again on a 10?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I have raced a completely stock 14 and a 14 with jsut a full muzzy system which yeilded 10 more horse with a back to back run.

The 14s will pull from a 10r pretty easy, torque is what wins races not horse power in this case. My bike dynos in at 176hp and 85 ft lbs and the 14 dynos in at about 167 with 300 miles on it but made close to 100 ft lbs and that was enough to stay jsut in front of me.

I have the thin head gasket, fulle xhaust velocity stacks degreed cam, PC, BMC all the goodies and they can still beat me by about half a bike length stock.

the bike with the muzzy system has a 160lbs rider also and Im 200 lbs but with that extra 10hp it gained the bike will pull form me about 2 bike lengths and slowly pull fomr me.

stock bike when we go, the low end torque will let it pull out on me about 2 bikes and we would stay even threw out the race but if he gives me a 2 bike start he will come to my side and stay there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
:)thats a great post on real life events when trying to compare....
Got a zx10r 06 myself, everytime the lights go green, he gets a "jumpstart" on me on his Fzr 1000 94, the power tends to go up and not forward on a zx10, but thats okay, in that way he stays happy with his old Yam, and he is my brother after all :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,463 Posts
well my dear Big Daddy there was a write up just done on this same topic with Bike magazine...I know your are all up on the 10R dick but shit this bike is made for what he is talking about...2 Up riding and speed...not racing on a road race course/track or canyons.

Sitting on both bikes, comfort level is better on the zx-14...
For 2 up riding the Mrs sat on the 10R and was like fuck this! reminded her of the 636, cramped and this is from a 5ft 7 thin woman that rides horses and jumps 4ft fences in an english saddle.
she was alot happier on the 14....

Speed wise you can say this and that but hard data shows the ZX-14 is faster and almost ANYONE can get this bike on the verge of the 9's in the 1/4.

where is the arguement? sports touring VS race replica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
there is no argument but again just a simple discussion between knowlegable folks..;) and i have no doubt the 14 is the better 2-up machine.
I simply wanted you to back up your 'The Zx-14 is far better at everything then the 10R except flicking it around in the twisties,' comment with some experience to render such a statement but you can't because you haven't owned either one, end of story. :)

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
two different bikes, two different classes. a zx14 will be more comfortable because of its size and general ergos, plus not to mention again its a sport tour! zx10r a wonderfull sport bike, and in my opinion one of the most comfortable sport bikes I have ridden next to the huyabusa and the zx12r. all three will do fine when used two up, but the 14 is best, I have been on the back of a 14 and its not bad...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Originally posted by garth285
I have raced a completely stock 14 and a 14 with jsut a full muzzy system which yeilded 10 more horse with a back to back run.

The 14s will pull from a 10r pretty easy, torque is what wins races not horse power in this case. My bike dynos in at 176hp and 85 ft lbs and the 14 dynos in at about 167 with 300 miles on it but made close to 100 ft lbs and that was enough to stay jsut in front of me.

I have the thin head gasket, fulle xhaust velocity stacks degreed cam, PC, BMC all the goodies and they can still beat me by about half a bike length stock.

the bike with the muzzy system has a 160lbs rider also and Im 200 lbs but with that extra 10hp it gained the bike will pull form me about 2 bike lengths and slowly pull fomr me.

stock bike when we go, the low end torque will let it pull out on me about 2 bikes and we would stay even threw out the race but if he gives me a 2 bike start he will come to my side and stay there.
What if you had a longer wheelbase in order to keep the front wheel down and to match the 14's wheelbase? That would probably make up much of the difference on the launch.

And has anyone roll-ons against the 14? Does the 10 keep up better when there is no launch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I raced a 14 at the track with my 10 and his trap was 137 to my 135. Pulled a little bit better but he was coming out of the hole way better than me. I think that helped his trap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Hi there Im looking at the zx10 , the 14 or the busa. now that being said i really like the zx10. but i have to have the power. now i ride with other 1000`s. so im thinking that if i go the 14 or the busa i will be getting smoked in the corners. so this is why im looking at the zx10. now the problem is i dont want to be beat by the other 2. so will a zx10 (06) with a muzzy system, a shot of spray and a power commander be able to beat the big dogs?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
the 14 is a BIG HUGE UGLY MASSIVE BUS of a shith UGLY bike. Only good for the Drags. An MG has a smaller turing readius than that ugly bus. Go with the ZX10 06 for the look alike of the ZX10 04-05 for the Looks and Power !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
right on thats what i wanted to hear. I did read many articles on both and the times are very very close at the drag strip. so in the real world a good rider on the zx 10 could beat a poor rider on a 14. then for the top speed with the commander and full exhaust system should pull away on top if the 14 does not have a commander. 300km block. so then a shot of 50h.p. nos should help beat the big dogs in the 1/4. the other thing is i like to wheelie and im not sure the other 2 will be as good. heavy and long. but not sure. so it looks like a Black zx10. and i agree i do like the looks of the 04-05 better but the 06 is getting good reviews for the way it works around a track.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top