Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Throttle cable has a crach in the coating and a little bit of surface rust formed on the steel cable outer shell.

So I proceeded to change my throttle cable, I figured if I removed the Air box it would be easy to change. Not so it appears you need to remove the throttle bodies to change the cable.

Anyone every changed a throttle cable on these newer bikes especially on a ZX10R?

·
Registered
375 Posts
NO, I've never done it. I'm going to have to do it on my buddies 600rr in the next week or so, so hopefully you get a response. I think you do have to remove the throttle body, atleast thats what it looked like on his. Have you tried a search?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried a search for Throttle under Zx10 and nothing came up.

I am going to get the shop manual tonight. I think you do have to remove the throttle body though.

F**K lots of work. I rember my old bike so easy. Also weighed 575 pounds lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
When you get the manual, I would be interested in seeing if it has any info on the piece o' crap steering damper. If it has an exploded view Ican rebuild it myself, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have installed a 60 deg throttle assy, and to remove the cables from the throttle body loosen the clamp bolts thru the holes in each side of the frame to lift out throttle body. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[email protected]#K I just typed a 30 minute thread that got deleted by accidentally pressing tab and enter i believe.

here we go

In reference to the "piece o' crap steering damper" I have contacted ohlins and they said the dampers are the same shell and sleeving with different vales and stems. Parts to change the damper to a standard damper were going to be available last I heard Early June this year.

I guess kawi and ohlins did not want a law suit from some stupid squid who turned his damper up to high and crashed. I would rather Kawi give me a vocher to redeme for a damper.

Ohh well on to the throttle cable.

I managed to change the cable on a 2005 zx10r with out removing the throttle bodies. It took less than 2 hours. 40 minutues of fiddling to try and get the cabel attached.

1. Obviously disconnect the throttle cable fro the Throttle Grip.
2. Remove the tank and the air box.
3. You will now see a rounded 3X10 inch rubber plate that the Airbox screwed into. You need to remove this to access the throttle body cam that the cables attach to.

4. There are two ways to remove this.
a. Simple push each of the 4 rubber throttle body grommets throught the rubber plate while lifting up on one end. You will need to reattched these rubber pieces later. All the rubber piece do is connect the plate to the throttle body.

b. nevermind this is to hard to explain an not the way to do it.

5. Now you need needle nose plyiers and some hooked picks and a small blade screw driver. THis is where I started to feel like a doctor.

6. Remove the old cable

7. Now you need to attach the positive throttle cable that pulls when you twist the on the gas. To do this you need to use a piece of wire and thread it from the back to front under the cam. Grab it with the needle nose pliers and pull it up. What we now have is a way to pull the throttle cable under the cam. Now you have the cable at the back of the cam where it attaches and the fun beginns. This part took me probably 20 minutes to get the littl cyclyner in the right spot on the cam. use the needle noses and the little screw driver or picks. THis is the surgery part.

8. The top return cable attaches easiy. Now thread the cable back through the appropriate way and attach.

9. IF your throttle is sticky spray wd40 wher the cables attach at the top on to the throttle grip.

Sorry I had to type this fast with out re reading it. At work and won't have internet for a few days.

Call my house 204-474-1402 in the evenings if you need a pointer.

I will be picking up my shop manual tonight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed 60 deg throttle assy in under an hr and a half it is much easier to remove the throttle body and associated plugs etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.