Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Info on the bike:
2008 ZX-14 with about 37k miles. I'm the original owner. All stock motor internals. 2Bros slip on pipes, K&N Filter, PCIII, Ballistics lithium battery.

The problem:
Recently (within the past couple weeks)the bike won't hit the rev limiter in any gear. If i have it in neutral and twist it to WOT it only revs up to about 9k and just holds there. If i only twist it to about 50% throttle it will rev all the way up to the limiter. Seems like I've lost almost all power if I open the throttle beyond 50%. I can ride around and as long as i don't get on it really hard (keep it below 50% throttle) and keep the tach below 6k, it runs fine. It's those moments when I want to get on it really hard where I have the problems.

What I've tried:
Disconnected the PCIII. Replaced all the spark plugs. Cleaned the air filter. Run it through about 3 tanks of gas. Checked and cleaned all my connections on the battery. So far no change.

I didn't notice this problem until after I installed the Ballistics Lithium battery. I'm not saying that it's the problem, just that I didn't notice the problem before. Unfortunatly my old battery completely died and wouldn't even take a charge so I can't just throw it back in and see what happens.

I'm really thinking it could be low fuel pressure and my fuel pump might need replaced or maybe my TPS going bad, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I would suspect the TPS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suspect the TPS.
You ever heard of a lithium battery causing a problem like this? Is it worth my time and money to buy a lead acid battery just to rule it out? Or should I just get my service manual out and check out the TPS first?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I can't see the battery causing this problem, check the TPS. BTW: these bikes use a glas-mat battery.

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,797 Posts
Info on the bike:
2008 ZX-14 with about 37k miles. I'm the original owner. All stock motor internals. 2Bros slip on pipes, K&N Filter, PCIII, Ballistics lithium battery.

The problem:
Recently (within the past couple weeks)the bike won't hit the rev limiter in any gear. If i have it in neutral and twist it to WOT it only revs up to about 9k and just holds there. If i only twist it to about 50% throttle it will rev all the way up to the limiter. Seems like I've lost almost all power if I open the throttle beyond 50%. I can ride around and as long as i don't get on it really hard (keep it below 50% throttle) and keep the tach below 6k, it runs fine. It's those moments when I want to get on it really hard where I have the problems.

What I've tried:
Disconnected the PCIII. Replaced all the spark plugs. Cleaned the air filter. Run it through about 3 tanks of gas. Checked and cleaned all my connections on the battery. So far no change.

I didn't notice this problem until after I installed the Ballistics Lithium battery. I'm not saying that it's the problem, just that I didn't notice the problem before. Unfortunatly my old battery completely died and wouldn't even take a charge so I can't just throw it back in and see what happens.

I'm really thinking it could be low fuel pressure and my fuel pump might need replaced or maybe my TPS going bad, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.
I can't see the battery causing this problem, check the TPS. BTW: these bikes use a glas-mat battery.
;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got around to checking the TPS tonight here's the results:

input voltage is 5.02 volts

my service manual says the range is 4.75 to 5.25 volts

output voltage is

Closed .67 volts
Open 3.77 volts

service manual says the range is .63 (or slightly higher) to 3.91 (or slightly lower)

should I be concerned about the .13 volt difference? What's their definition of "slightly lower"?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to rule out the battery, I hooked up a lead acid one that I had sitting around. The problem is still there. I checked the reading on the TPS sensor and they're the exact same as they were with the lithium battery. I also watched the secondary throttle valve and it appears to be opening and closing as it should. Fuel pressure is my next guess. I'm going to go buy a fuel pressure gauge and check it tonight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I checked the fuel pressure and the readings were right where they were supposed to be. I put the bike all back together and it ran fine just sitting in the driveway. It'd run right up the the rev limiter like it should. I took it out for a ride and it climbed right up the the limiter in first gear and then again in second. Then after about 10 minutes it went back to doing what it was doing before. I didn't change a single thing. I unbolted the tank, disconnected the fuel line, checked the fuel pressure and then reconnected the fuel line and bolted the tank back down.

Later that night I was thinking about it and realized I moved the tank. That's the only thing I did was move the gas tank. There must be some stuff in there clogging up the screen on the fuel pump. When I moved the tank some of it must have came off the screen and then got sucked back onto the screen when I was riding. That would explain almost everything.

So today I drained out all the fuel and pulled the tank off. Pulled out the fuel pump and tore it apart. Sure enough that screen was black and clogged up with particles and dirt. Kawasaki doesn't sell just that screen, they want you to buy the full pump. I'm going to try to clean it and see what that does. I'm sure it will make a huge improvement. This guy made a post that helped me out quite a bit Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter revisited.

I'll let you guys know if the problem is gone after i get the bike all back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ya.... clean the screen and you should be good to go. Throttle body cleaner and a soft tooth brush go a long way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaning that screen did the trick. I took it out to the drag strip yesterday and made some passes. The bike ran perfect. My best time was a 10.900 at 135.04. I need to get the bike lowered and make some more passes. I should be able to get into the low 9s.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my problem came back. I'm guessing I didn't get that filter clean enough. In my searching I did find this Fuel pump strainer

It turns out you can get the strainer, but it's marked for a 2013 Kawasaki TERYX 750 FI 4X4 SPORT. I just ordered one so we'll see if it fixes the issue for good this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts