Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if the US would allow for import of this bike? It doesn't make sense to not sell them here but they will sell Honda GROMs all day. The GROM has a 125 engine. Is it the engine size or the bike itself the reason they don't sell them here?

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 650
16 Posts
I think it’s the idea of the bike platform/intended market. The groms/z125 type of bikes hit the mini bike/pit bike market where as the zx25 is a small displacement full sized bike designed for a market where your riding experience determines restrictions on what sized bike you can buy. In the us there’s no such restrictions. Also, the us market transitioning to 300cc and 400cc as the optimal starter platform. Selling a 250cc inline-4 would sorta be beating a dead horse since the ninja 400 is already so wildly popular. Just my uninformed take based on what I’ve noticed. Other or more informed takes are definitely welcomed.

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 650
16 Posts
Oh I’ve got no idea about that. But if you really want one that badly, I suppose enough money and patience can get almost anything done. What is it about them that you find attractive enough to consider that? I imagine a ninja 400 or r3 or another comparable bike would have around the same specs to be viable options.

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 650
16 Posts
Here’s a nice comparison video between the ninja 400 and zx25. If you’re more into racing and track type stuff or really want some better rider-aid features, seems like the zx25 would check those boxes. But for every day use and basic functionality the ninja 400 is a fantastic option. To me personally, rider aids are nice but can definitely serve as a crutch to learning. The ninja 400 is like the perfect mix of performance and aid to develop a new rider.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I think that the main reason that this bike is sold only in selected markets worldwide is emissions regulations. At least that was what I read a few months ago when the first teaser vids were out.

As concerns Greece and most of Europe, one could get the original ultra high revving 250s only as special - partly illegal imports and it seems that this will be the case with this new little devil too.

In any case, kudos Kawasaki (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really am just curious if it's possible. I'd just as well buy a 400 before I bought a 250. I don't really understand import laws very well.

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 650
16 Posts
Gotcha, yeah I’m sure you probably could import one, I think Kawasaki just didn’t release it here because there wasn’t really a market for it. Maybe emissions stuff too 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was made foe the Indonesian market for insurance reasons. Yes I'm sure you could import one if you really wanted to but it's gonna cost you a boat load of cash. Yes they are similar but I would much rather have a 300/400 and not have to sit a 15-17 rpm just to get to where the power is beside it being loud as hell. I do like the sound of the inline 4 though. I have a slipon on my 300 making it sound pretty sweet to

·
Registered
58 Posts
Importing any non-US spec vehicle is extremely difficult, expensive, & risky. Basically the law allows no good way to do it. There is an exception to the law for 25+ year old vehicles only.
It’s unfortunate that Kawa is not bringing this bike here. I want one too!
I’m (almost) crazy enough to take a vacation in Indonesia and buy one, take it apart and try shipping it home in boxes.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Importing any non-US spec vehicle is extremely difficult, expensive, & risky. Basically the law allows no good way to do it. There is an exception to the law for 25+ year old vehicles only.
It’s unfortunate that Kawa is not bringing this bike here. I want one too!
I’m (almost) crazy enough to take a vacation in Indonesia and buy one, take it apart and try shipping it home in boxes.
There'll definitely be some kind of gray import method in the near future so keep your ears open before booking any tickets :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts