Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a '92 ZX-6 (has about 19000 miles), and it runs fine but I cannot get it past 6500 rpm in any gear, even on the freeway, without it bogging like it's running out of gas. I previously owned a 92 ZX-6 and it had plenty of power above 6000 rpm, with an awesome powerband after 10K rpm, so I'm disappointed so far with the new bike because I know it should do better. I can rev it in neutral up to 10000 rpm + (in short bursts), but under load it won't get past 6000-6500....

I took it to a local shop and they dynoed it and checked the compression and said it needed a top end (which I had them do). I've put 200 miles on since and I'm breaking it in according to their instructions (not over 6000 rpm for the first 600 miles), but today I noticed the bogging at 6000 rpm when I was riding home. It's great at lower rpms, but limits at 6000 rpm.

Maybe it will get better as the bike breaks in? I just hate the fact that perhaps the top end did not need to be rebuilt and I'll encounter the same problem even after the break in period....I originally thought it might be a carburetion problem. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
891 Posts
sounds to me like carbs.. if your compression is on spot and the top end is rebuilt.. not too much else it could be other than gas or ignition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'll get the carbs checked out after the break in period-hopefully that will fix it. If not, we'll move on to the ignition system.

·
Registered
891 Posts
also check that your plugs are gapped correctly and your air filter is clean. I doubt it's either of those, but they're easy, cheap, and a good check just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.