Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me get started. Don't kill me but I am a new rider and currently own a 88 Honda Hurricane. It is a good beginner bike and am looking to step up. A friend has a 96 ZX-6R. Here's the catch, it's been laid down on the highway. He kept the insurance money and had the bike looked at by a mechanic and there was no engine damage. He still rides it and is looking to get rid of it. He put on a full Muzzy exhaust, fender eliminator and a dunlop race package. Unfortunately, it needs a new crank case(scratched), new lower left fairing(scratch), new mirror, new turn signal, and new rear tire(just basic matinence). The colors are red black and blue I think or maybe white. You guys seem to be very knowledgable about Kawasaki bikes and I would really value your opinion on the matter. I was wondering what kind of price to pay, my thoughts are at most $2000, what are the pro's and con's of the bike and is there just anything else I should know about it? I really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Two thousand sounds like a good price to me. I have a '95 which is basically the same bike. First the down side. It will probably have a salvage title. This will make it more difficult to get rid of when you sell and will dramatically lower the price you will get for it no matter what shape it is in at the time.

The '95-'97s are good bikes. They weigh about 35 pounds more than the current ZX-6R. The engine is strong and reliable. With a little adjustment they handle about as good as the '98-'02 and are almost as fast. The brakes aren't as good as the later model but are certainly adequate.

Put a set of good tires in the correct size on it. The '95-'97 usually end up with the wrong size rear tire. If you are cheap like me and do it yourself with mail order tires maybe $200 and $300 or more from a shop. An OEM mirror cost about $40 from ronayers.com or you can buy a pair of EMGO mirrors for about the same amount. I have a serviceable EMGO left mirror that you can have. They stator cover on the engine sounds cosmetic. You can get NRC aftermarket cover for about $100 that is infinitely better than the stock one or a stock cover for about $80. If you want to keep stock turn signals someone on here will probably give you one. Most everyone goes to flushmounts. I wouldn't mess with fixing a scratch on the plastic unless you get one off eBay cheap.

You have to remember that you can't put a lot of money into it unless you plan to keep it forever because you won't get it out. There is a guy from down under on here who has a '95 more than 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I agree with swjohnsey. I used to have a '96 and it ran hard. The bike is great if you're just coming into the sportbike scene, and is fast enough to keep up with almost (I said "almost") any bike on the road. $2,000 sounds about right to me too. I sold mine to a friend for $3,000 with lightly scratched fairings, full Muzzy exhaust, tank bra, new tires, and gel grips.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
my advise...buy a bike with the best quality for the cheapest price you can

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, I will be getting some pictures of the bike soon and I will keep you posted if I get the bike.

Scott

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
2,000 .that a steal. even if it craps out you can make more in parts;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
2K would be a great price. The ZX6 would be a nice step up for you and you couldnt go wrong for the price. Even if you do have to put a lil $ into it. But I would agree, dont worry about the scracthed fairing. Its not really worth the $ in my opinion for a new one, unless you can find on really cheap. Good luck on the new purchase.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I paid $2,300 for mine last summer in 1992 and think $2,000 would be a good deal. Mine had 17,500 miles on it (now 24,000). I took care of all of the cosmetic damages (new exhaust header, clutch/brake handles, rear turn signals) for $225. My scratched engine cover has flat black stove paint on it and it looks fine. The previous owner had taken care of the fairings and a new paint job. I buy the majority of my parts from Ebay and some from MAW and Parts411. Good luck with the bike if you decide to purchase it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm a little scared of bikes that have been down at high speeds...

not for nothing, but when I'm on the interstate doing 100+, I want to be completely confident that I'm not going to hear one noise or feel one shimmy....

personally, I think the bike ought to be fine...but you just never know so trust your instinct.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm am scared as well about bikes that have been down at high speeds! Not a good sign, but if everything checks out and the mechanic says that the bike is in good condition and that there is no problems with the engine...the I would do it. $2000 USD is like $2600 CAD...pretty aswome deal for a '95.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.