Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've just gotten my 05 ZX-6R back on the road and noticed the temperature is super erratic. I'm talking that it bounces from 65 - 110 - 70 - HI - 80 etc (in celcius). I'm pretty sure it's not actually overheating but it's putting me on edge a bit. Where could I start with this? I know I need to top up the oil a bit & will check coolant but the erratic nature makes me think it's a sensor or wiring? Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
coolant topped up imperative. Thermostat original? 15 year old may be time to check if not renew.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheers. I’ve changed the oil n checked coolant today. Checked what I could wiring wise, grounds etc. All looks fine but having the same issue. I think changing out the thermostat is my next step. It just seems crazy that a faulty thermostat could cause a 40-50C change in temp within a second or 2..... and then back again. If that doesn’t help, might be off to the shop to see what they can find....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah cooling fan comes on but tough to say if it’s at the right temperature. I didn’t think a thermostat would cause it either but temp is reported as expected when cold up to about 80degrees C and then she goes stupid. In addition once it’s warm and I shut it off, temperature also reads as expected on the high end and slowly cools. Maybe I’ll just change both the thermostat and sensor while I’m going?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I would, it's a 15 year old bike changing the thermostat certainly wont hurt. I would try to get OEM parts if you can, especially the thermostat. It has to be one of the two I cant think of anything else that would cause that, besides maybe an electrical issue like you said. However I would think a bad ground would cause more issues than just an erratic temp gauge, cant say for sure on that one.

I also own an 05 636, awesome bike. Mine has 32k miles still running strong, most reliable thing in my life lol. I'd be interested in knowing how it goes I may run into the same issue in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts