Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

ZX-6R for a commuter

20K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  Zephyr 
#1 ·
Would you nay/say the zx-6 is a good commuter bike to and from work about 50 miles...I have not riden one but wanted to know if the seating was to extreme for an every day bike to ride to work with or is it mostly a track bike?

#2 ·
I see from your sig that you've got the same bike I do… a newgen Ninjette.

I have no direct experience with supersports, but I have the same question and I figured out a great way to find out for not a lot of money… a couple of hundred bucks or so, which is way less than you'd lose if you bought a ZX-6 and had to resell it because you concluded that it's the wrong bike.

It's a fairly simple and inexpensive matter to give your 250R more sportbike-like ergonomics by fitting it with rearset adapter plates and clip-ons. I've done it to mine and the bike feels very different from stock.

The beauty part is, I can put it back to stock if I ever feel like it. And I haven't had to go and buy a bike just to see if I like the ergos of a supersport.

Both are available from Shinto.

I only installed the clip-ons a week or so ago and have less than a hundred miles riding them, so I won't comment on long-term comfort. I did notice immediately that it's a more active experience… you're using more of your body muscles. When you're leaned forward like that you're riding more like a jockey rides a racehorse.

I've also jetted the bike and put on a full exhaust. It's no supersport to be sure, but it's a fantastic commuter bike.

#3 ·
I ride my 06 ZZR600 60 miles one way to work all the time. If it's not raining, I'm riding. My bike is a bit more comfortable than the newer ZX-6R's, but I did the same commute on my 05 GSXR1000 without any problems.

#9 ·
i commute 120miles round trip every day on my bike. occasionally i'll take the car if i need to run errands that require some cargo capacity larger than my backpack, or if it's really nasty out on the way in.

2000 miles(minimum) a month on the bike and i have no problems

proper riding position is key. if you're hurting after a few miles you're doing it wrong.

#6 ·
50 miles is cake.

Its fine. If you are JUST going to commute, then there are definitely way better bikes than a super sport in general.

#8 ·
This is good info. Sounds like you have a good commuter...or maybe a 650R would be the best choice. Seems like a SS is the wrong tool for the job IMO.

#12 ·
i rode my 636 to school 5 days a week, 2-3 times a day (depending on my schedule). it was way better than driving a car. between getting upper 30 MPGs gas mileage, as opposed to my car making 25 mpgs or so, the ability to zip in and out of traffic, and being able park the bike wherever the fuck i wanted, it was the shit. not to mention, the added appeal to the opposite sex of riding a sport bike, it was awesome. once riding season comes around, my bike sits for 2-3 weeks at a time undriven. i love commuting on my bike. my ride was about 20-25 miles, i could totally deal with an additional 25 miles or so added on. sometimes i skipped class just to go ride the awesome mountain area that surrounded my campus.

#16 ·
If you're just commuting why get a SS? You're getting better fuel mileage with that 250 and it's not as aggressive. Save your money up till you can get both or make REALgood friends with someone that has a ZX6 and ride it for a few days.

#18 ·
Thanks, I guess I should say not commuting all the time, but I would never go to a track since there is nothing really around me. Not saying I wouldnt be out on the weekend going in the twisties or anything. Yes my 250 is great for going to work but I have the more power bug, plus I'd like to get out of the way sometimes of crazy drivers on the road and I feel the 250 wont do it for me. Not saying I am gonna go 150 down the highway, I would just like to know the power is there... I was also looking at a used cbr f4i

#22 ·
I've got the Duc to handle the long hauls but would probably still use my ZX-6R for that. Also, how much do you carry to work? Anything? If you've got stuff to carry a different bike would make more sense.

Again, if you don't use your hands/arms to hold yourself up you'd be fine.

#24 ·
good info in here, i've always used my thighs and back/abs to hold myself up but I still have light pressure on my palms. If I'm in heavy traffic though, I put a lot more weight on my palms, especially when lane splitting.

#26 ·
I say go for it Tronix!! You dont have to race to love the SS and I see many SS's commuting while im riding to work. If your not sure then you need to somehow test ride one. But im telling ya right now.. You throw a leg over a zx6 and you wont get off it. And this is the best time to get one.

#28 ·
I've been commuting to work every day for almost 7 years first with a 2003 ZX6RR and now with my 2006 ZX6R and I'm 50 years old. Granted my commute is shorter about 20 miles one way. I love it wouldn't trade it for any other bike. Maybe at 60 I'll look for something more comfortable.

:D

#29 ·
Ill read all the replies later ive been drinking LOL but.

Assuming it isnt winter time. I ride to work every day, usually on the ZX6R. I live 10 miles from work.

My bike doesnt get any better mileage then my car (wich I dont take to work), but I've never had any problems, plus a wheelie on the way home helps make the day worth it :)

#32 ·
ouch, what do they charge you with? reckless driving or endangerment or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.