Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are very few diferences other then the 37cc's. The RR also has a slipper clutch, which is great on the track, but not needed on the street. Even on the track 75% of us probobly would not ride hard enough to notice a difference. (slipper clutch prevents rear wheel hop under hard braking)

the RR also has an adjustable swingarm pivot, in this case, 99.99999% of us would ever know the difference if between the adjustments.

Both those features are there for the professional racers, not us on the street, or even track days..

The 6RR is more expensive for a couple reasons, its limited production, and has those extra features.

As for insurance, it depends on the company, call around and see if the 636 would put you in a different bracket or not.

The RR is not as fast as the 636 in stock form, but it was never intended to be. The RR was made for the track, and has a race kit available which makes it a good deal quicker. You most likely won't be able to find a race kit though, all the race teams picked those up quickly..

I don't know the quarter mile times offhand, but they are within a couple tenths of a second of eachother. The 636 is the quickest of any 03 600 class bike.

It sucks you folks in the US did not get green 636's like the rest of us did. Some US folks have bought green fairings from us here in Canada, or just bought the whole bike up here.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
530 Posts
FYI: the ZX6RR is now cheaper than the ZX636R, thanks to a rebate on the 6RR.

The ZX6RR has 2 advantages over the 636: a slipper clutch (allows you to downshift aggressively without locking up your rear tire), and an adjustable swingarm pivot. Supposedly, the 6RR's engine is also lighter weight than the 6R, allowing it to be more flickable, but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference. Other than those 2 main differences, the 636 has everything the 6RR does including USD forks, radial brakes, lap timer, etc.

It's true that the 6RR in completely stock form is not as fast as the other 600s including the 636. But if you are willing to invest in upgrades for it, it is supposed to have better racing potential than the 636. A member of this board, C Hunter, has run the quarter mile on a modded 6RR in the 9-second bracket:
/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4424

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have to disagree on the slipper clutch thing, that's not someting only the pros could use. The occasional track day guy would benefit from that. Depends how aggresive you ride.

A 600 needs to be high in the revs to be happiest. If you're trying to keep it there and are not real careful you can easily spin up the rear...which the slipper clutch would prevent. I'm not Val Rossi and I spun mine at my first track school.

You can keep up with just about anything with the 6R singing above 10g's (assuming riders of the same skill level). Spinning the rear is not going to help, it'll slow you down for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the scare it'll give ya.

I would love to see that slipper clutch on the 6R. Now the swingarm pivot is way overkill for anyone but a racer. Just my opinions...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm currently looking to purchase a 600cc supersport bike in the very near future. Besides having 36 extra cc's, are there any other differences between the zx6rr and zx636r?? Why does the zx6rr cost more? What are the 1/4 mile times for these two bikes? Will the insurance on a 636cc be much higher than a 600cc? I love the lime green colour of the zx6rr but I read some reviews that its not as fast as the other 600's. Is this true? I appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys! So would this slipper clutch prevent you from doing burnouts? I'm 6ft tall, would this bike be comfortable for a taller person?

·
Registered
178 Posts
No. The slipper clutch is only used when downshifting at a high rpm to keep the rearwheel from locking up from engine breaking.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Wan2Fly and I have run these two bikes side-by-side several times now. Here's the scoop:

He's got a PCIIIusb and an Akrapovic system on his bike. I have the Akrapovic and NO PCIII. I'm likely (and I'm guessing) 30 pounds heavier than he is (but I carry it well [:eek:)]).

On the jump, the 636 pulls a few bike lengths before first gearchange with me on board. But from then on in, it's fairly even, gap stays around the same through the gears, up to at least 220km/h or so...

Now, things are changing - he's having a custom map done, and I'll be adding a PCIIIusb, so I'll update you again later. And this is also MY version of the drag races, so mebbe he'll have a different slant [xx(] but the gap is closer than you'd likely think.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love the info,I would also like to add that the 6RR's compression is
higher than that of the other new 600's being at 13:0 flat and the others are in the 12:2 -12:6's with the 636 being 12.8:1.That with the stock forged pistons does make me wonder how fast the 6RR really is compared against the other new 600's.Thats just my opinion[8D]

There's a Difference between being Brave and being Stupid...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Get the 636. It is "better" than the 6rr on the street. More torque, HP, and more color choices. The 6rr is made to compete in races where they don't allow more than 600cc. I don't understand why someone would buy the 6rr when you can buy a 636, unless you want that Team Green paint scheme. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well, now that the 6RR is cheaper than the 6R, one more reason to get the 6RR is that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. :D (Sorry to all 6RR owners out there!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
The main reason I bought it over the 636 is only 'cause of Team Green.
The both are very comparible,my buddies got a 636 and I got the 6RR and it's not like he takes off from me when we're both gunning it or
vice-versa.There very close,and basically other than the motors(
also the slipper clutch and adj. swingarm pivot)The bikes are the SAME.Get what you want.[:p]

There's a Difference between being Brave and being Stupid...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by CdnNinjaZX6R

Grunt, Grunt, Grunt....I did say the slipper clutch is great on the track :) just not needed on the street [8D]

:)

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11
hehe...I guess it was this line I was rebelling against...
"Even on the track 75% of us probobly would not ride hard enough to notice a difference." My gallup pole has the number being much lower ;)...plus, I just didn't wanna say it...sometimes it might even be useful off the track too :D[^] Not on the commute/sport touring days though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
One other difference that I heard is the fact that the 6RR has adjustable cam gears. I have also heard that these are on the 6R as well, but I do not know either way for a fact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.