Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Name's coferj, and I'm a kaw-head. Ok, that's over.

I'm looking next year to get into track riding. Gonna sign up for a training class early in the year, pending finances going right. Question is, has anyone had experience with this bike on the track? I've never ridden one, but would like to stay true to team green, w/o having to bust up to the liter bike class, but I think I might need a little more than the 600 may offer (although, never ridden that either). How's the acceleration? Handle well? Good aftermarket?

the '14 is my street bike, so being able to handle the power is not a concern, just looking to experienced riders to maybe tell me a little about the '7.

TIA

·
Registered
67 Posts
tbh mate the newer 6`s are quicker than the 7`s simply because the 7`s are lardy and heavy but saying that the 7`s had one of the best front suspension setups of it time but like i said under powered for its weight id give a 6 a go b4 ya commit yr self to a 7 dont get me wrong i love my 7 and hope to keep it alive for a few years yet and like you hopefully next year will be doing rack days aswell weather permitting !!!! i am from uk so its never a gaurentee lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by caboose
they can be a good track bike. they are a bit heavy but you can still keep up if you know what you're doing.
So basically I would be at the back of the pack? lol

J/k...Ok, thanks for the good advice...exactly what I was wondering. Like I said, i want to stay true to green, but I also want a bike that will not require me necessarily to be a track pro to make ok passes...and it sounds like the 6 is what I need to look into. Thanks again!

·
Registered
111 Posts
heres my take for the umpteenth time....ITS ALL ABOUT THE GODDAMN RIDER!!!! Ive passed zx10r on the outside of turns at over 120 and had SV650 do the same to me. Until you can ride like a pro it dont fukin matter one bit about the bike...this statement was made in jest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its a wonderful track bike, with frame savers on it, it is the 'last' bike that was manufactured, that can actually take a hit on the ground and not be totalled. Just about everything else, short of a TZ, or RS is disposable. The zx7 does everything that you ask it to do, great chassis, and the motor has enough power, the only easier bike to ride that I can think of would be a honda f2/3- that bike is truly a mystery to me. The components are strictly mediocre, but the package is a bike that anyone can ride faster than they should.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The ZX7 is a stable solid bike....you'll never fall down from a head shake, it has good brakes and components, a bullet-proof engine that has lots of room to grow with you. Don't worry about power, as mentioned by others. Used parts are less plentiful though, and even aftermarket stuff is slanted more to the 6 and 9.

I loved my 91 and 94, but the zx6r's I've riden since and currently are nearly as fast, way lighter, and have top notch components too. Like others here have said, I've not even come close to tapping the full potential and still bested way faster bikes at big tracks like Road America. Kawi prooved how good the 600's are in the 750 supersport class.

I wouldn't go looking for a zx7, but if I found one I wouldn't be scared to get it...how's that for an answer? If you are a big framed guy, the zx7 mike be better for that reason.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the zx7r is a great track bike I jsut sold mine after 3 years of solid track riding only. once you get rid of the street stuff the bike is loads lighter. you save 30 lbs alone by getting a exhaust bodywork save 20 lbs compared to race not having lights saves another 10 lbs. tha'ts 60 lbs. once it's stripped and in track form the bike is loads lighter. I say get it. I would pass zx10rs r1s and etc. on the track with it. plus i could get on the gas way earlier out of the turns it was truly a great beginner track bike that gros with you the faster you get the more up for the challenge it gets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply guys...I"ll keep my eyes peeled to see if I can find any great deals...sounds like the '7 is just about what I need to get started on the track. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.