Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive currently got a ZX636 2003 B1H which i love but ive had it a year now and im looking to go for a 1 litre bike. My head is done in with different reviews etc regarding the best 1 litre bike to buy. Can anyone help my decision? I love the way my ZX6 is, hard riding etc and perfect handling, lovely sounding.
My brother just picked up his new ZX10 today and it looks nice but not as nice as some of the other 1 litres such as the R1 and the GSXR1000. Ive heard mixed reports on all 3 1 litres, i was wondering if people can give me their views on which one to chose and why... I would be grateful...
I think the only thing i dont like on the new ZX10 is the exhausts, they look too bulky.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok, I ride with a group of all litre bikes, all 04 or newer, i have an 06 10r, and to be honest, i agree that the 10r may not come off as nice looking as either the R1, or the even the CBR, but i rarely worry about it, as i know (having traded bikes around) that the 10r pulls harder, rides better, and handles the turns better than anything else. Keep in mind, i am in no way a pro nor do i pretend to be, im just a guy who loves to ride, and after riding everything else, im glad with my decision. If i had to choose a differnt bike, it would be the R1, only because its probably the best looking of all the litres...just doesnt have the balls of the 10r...hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought my zx10r and this is my second bike. My 05 R1 is in the shop and I needed a back up. I went with the R1 because to me hands down the R1 has the best looking lines of all the litre bikes out there. I don't like the mailbox that the GSX-R stuck on the side of their bike. Honda is overpriced and heavy, but reliable. Honestly the 10 has more pull as someone mentioned earlier, but all of these bikes want to go. It all depends on the rider and how you tame the beast. If you love to ride you'll go with your gut and not the numbers on the pages of a mag. I mean if you're looking for power and speed might as well spend an extra $500 or so and get the ZX14. Still love my R1 and it's nice to know I have a pretty good back up if I need a change of pace.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I dont know about all of you but iam digging that new 06 cbr 1000RR......... It has alot of nice specs to it electronic steering dampner ECT...... All these litre bikes are so damn close in comparsion You realy cant go wrong with any of them......

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just sold my '05 CBR1000RR to get the '06 ZX-10R. I'll give a full comparison in the next week or so between the two.

My past/current bikes:
98 600F3
03 CBR954RR
03 CBR600RR
05 CBR1000RR
06 ZX10R

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yea, i can deffinatly see why anyone would go with the other litre bikes, to be honest...you only need to sit on them to really decide what you want...I went with fit me best, and i am damn happy with my call, and unless your on the track 24/7, who cares about the numbers? Trust me, i rode with a guy who had an 03 636 a while back, and he was a hell of a rider, he kicked my ass all day long. So to me, it doesnt matter what your riding as long as you fit it, and it fits you

·
Registered
480 Posts
Originally posted by NavyMac
I just sold my '05 CBR1000RR to get the '06 ZX-10R. I'll give a full comparison in the next week or so between the two.

My past/current bikes:
98 600F3
03 CBR954RR
03 CBR600RR
05 CBR1000RR
06 ZX10R

The 05 cbr1000rr i hear is a tank..... The 06 is alot lighter

·
Registered
341 Posts
not really...and the difference is negligible after you get rid of that 10 pound muffler. The 10 has a higher center of gravity and is narrower- far more flickable. I like the midrange grunt that my RR had but I think dropping a tooth will help. my CBR was 15/42 vs. 17/40. I have a 15T on order for the 10 and I think that will make a significant improvement.

The 10R rides most like the CBR954 for the Honda line.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Originally posted by NavyMac
not really...and the difference is negligible after you get rid of that 10 pound muffler. The 10 has a higher center of gravity and is narrower- far more flickable. I like the midrange grunt that my RR had but I think dropping a tooth will help. my CBR was 15/42 vs. 17/40. I have a 15T on order for the 10 and I think that will make a significant improvement.
if ya don't mind loosing about 12mph on the top side with the 15t.

BD

·
Registered
173 Posts
Originally posted by Big Daddy

if ya don't mind loosing about 12mph on the top side with the 15t.

BD
Do you really need the extra 12 mph on the top side? Where can you do that speed without risking jail time? I'd rather have in a range that you can use it more!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
yo .... Ive been droping teeth up front for years and it SUCKS !! The damn bike just revs everywhere all of the time and just plain sucks after a while. The stock gearing with maybe 1 or 2 up in the back at most is by far the best. Its not about the top speed .... it just plain sucks to have the bike over-reving all of the time everywhere .... go figure they spend millions to get the gearing-power right.

·
Registered
341 Posts
unless this thing gains 20 hp after 1000 miles it needs different gearing. 16/40 is still conservative compared to the other makes...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Originally posted by KermitGreen

Do you really need the extra 12 mph on the top side? Where can you do that speed without risking jail time? I'd rather have in a range that you can use it more!!
as a matter of fact i do :D i have numerous traffic free 2 lane roads out in the Nevada desert just inviting such shenannigans if one is so inclined.
I've setup my 04 10 with 16/39 and topped out its a true 180mph and dead nuts stable. ;)

BD

·
Registered
520 Posts
Originally posted by brobin01
yo .... Ive been droping teeth up front for years and it SUCKS !! The damn bike just revs everywhere all of the time and just plain sucks after a while. The stock gearing with maybe 1 or 2 up in the back at most is by far the best. Its not about the top speed .... it just plain sucks to have the bike over-reving all of the time everywhere .... go figure they spend millions to get the gearing-power right.
I assure you theres not millions spent to calculate stock gearing. Its simply a well balanced starting point for street/highway use. They know if you want want max performance you will gear it to match how you use it at specific track or how you ride on the street.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm off the chain when someone asks a question about liter bikes cus I hate the R1. You're on a ZX forum forum so it's a little biased but I absolutely despise that R1. I owned a 05 for a year and a half and couldn't wait to get rid of it. One problem after another. It had no power, clutch sucked and was replaced in first year I owned it. There is an 80 page thread on the R1 Forum about some cut out problem that Yamaha is doing nothing about and of course I also had that problem. I could send you the link. I've never ridden or owned a gixxer but to me they are hideous looking, single headlight, weird pipe on side, directionals in rear view mirror, cum on, but it's a very close 2nd to ZX10 in performance. Some prefer it. I also owned a Buell, a hybrid cruiser, gobs of torque in lower rpms but no top end. no top end. Great for getting around city, I guess.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by JASONZX6R6R
It has alot of nice specs to it electronic steering dampner ECT......
which also stops working when the front wheel stops turning. I thought it was broken or something when i came down off a 2nd gear wheelie on my friend's '06 (yellow + blue FTW!). That was teh closest i've EVER been to eating shit. Needless to say, if i bought a CBR1K, 1st mod would be a normal steering dampner (and a titanium exhaust)

I like the CBR, but i thought the gears were retarded. It doesent leave a lot of picking and choosing when you're coming around corners and want to haul ass out of it.

R1's? Hate em.

I'd get a gixxer1K because they come in black+grey and are as fast(if not faster) than a zx10

or a zx10 because they're as fast as a gixxer1k...it's a tossup between the two. After riding both zx10 and gixxer, i like the gixxer

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have been wanting to upgrade to a liter bike next year and I was really wanting a 10r because I love kawi's and the 10r is one of the most powerful liter bikes. However, there is a honda dealer about 2 hours from me that sells way under msrp and I could get a new 1000rr for a little over $9k so I am inclined to buy one of them. Since I am upgrading to a liter bike from a 600 I think the power will be sufficient for a little while, at least until I have owned it long enough to trade for a new 10r ( like a year or so ). I cant stand gixxers and the R1 looks nice but Im not a yamaha fan at all.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Originally posted by Big Daddy

as a matter of fact i do :D i have numerous traffic free 2 lane roads out in the Nevada desert just inviting such shenannigans if one is so inclined.
I've setup my 04 10 with 16/39 and topped out its a true 180mph and dead nuts stable. ;)

BD
No doubt wearing your shower shoes and shorts . Not cool bragging about this on public roads . Time to grow up a bit there killer . [:Applause]

tberd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.