Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
its a safety precaution. axle nuts that aren't a castlenut can't lock them selves in place. the ones that aren't castlenuts typically are a nyloc nut.
you can ride without it, but unless you religiously wrench on the ass end, you may go for a long time without noticing your axle nut loosened.. that affects handling as wee if it loosened being the swingarm will expand out about 1/4" or more with no tension on it..

better safe than sorry, i say.. you figure, they're dissimilar metals subjected to heat cycling. even tho it's not alot of heat, thermal expansion WILL work it loose eventually if not locked in somehow... might take days, weeks or even years (if you NEVER change the tire..lol).. my luck is that if the ONE time I didn't reinstall a cotter pin, my axle would fall out.. i just assume everyoe else has luck like me sometimes..

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,412 Posts
why the frick is this on there?

any real reason why i should keep it on the axle?
It keeps the rear axle nut from changing it's torque over time, which could either cause the rear axle nut to bind and strip when you go to loosen it, or it could cause it to loosen up and let the axle slide, changing the alignment of the rear tire and leading to a rather nasty wreck. Rather than cotter pins that have to be replaced constantly, you can use a hitch pin (any Home Depot or Lowes or ACE should have them)...you can use the same one for years, and one whack with a wrench will set or unset them, so they're much faster / easier to use, and they're only marginally more expensive than cotter pins.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i'mabout clean lines on my bikes and this safety pin really cheapens the look.

figured it was a safety mechanism so i've been running safety wire in its place for the last 500 miles for a low profile look

·
Registered
71 Posts
so ive only seen these on gixxers and kawis, what bout honda? yamaha? are they castlenurt
I had a Honda F4i and it has a self locking nut, you have to torque it pretty tight, I imagine the Yamaha would be the same.

I would keep your cotter pin in your rear axle shaft, it would be really shitty if the axle nut fell off during your ride.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,412 Posts
well, i'mabout clean lines on my bikes and this safety pin really cheapens the look.

figured it was a safety mechanism so i've been running safety wire in its place for the last 500 miles for a low profile look
Safety wire works, but I mean...ah nevermind. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts