Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Even though they are owned by the same company, they have said that the product lines would remain distinct. I would make more sense to have a GSXR1000 with a Kawasaki designed engine/transmission.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I dont believe they are owned by the same company, but they have merged some divisions, like dirtbikes.
They said from the start sportbikes will not be joint projects at all though, they would remain distinct.

I cant see Kawi putting a Gixxer engine in, Kawi has awesome engines, there would be no point.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would think the 10 would replace the 9 but you never know. They may keep it because it'll be more comfortable perhaps?

As for having GSXR power. maybe. If it were that easy why doesn't the R1 or 959 have it?

As for shared components. A guy I work with has a new 03 GSXR. We parked next to each other and the front brakes are nearly identical.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by bhess

As for having GSXR power. maybe. If it were that easy why doesn't the R1 or 959 have it?
They mean not the same amount of power, but literally, the GSXR engine. Kawi and Suzuki have a shared product agreement of some sort. And the 954 has never aimed for being that powerful.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
From what my dealer has said, just the 7R is going this year, the 9R will stick around as more of a touring capable sportbike, like honda's f4i has become.

the 7R is already gone in Europe this year is it not?? only us in north america still have it this year, mostly because they can still race it this year and Bostrom does well on it.
After this year it does not qualify to be raced, so sales will drop a lot (if you dont see it racing around you wont buy one)

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I dont see any link there,
The LED taillight are being adopted by everyone, Honda, Yami, Kawi, Suzi, etc..
The Radial mounts were put on race bikes a couple years ago, and that always trickles down to the street quickly in the sportbike world.
The cowl's look similar for sure, but since all cowls do the same job, cover the rear seat, thats to be expected.

Im sure they are sharing some R/D stuff, but nothing as drastic as sharing engine or other major parts.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is no way that the zx10r will gave a gsxr engine in it. The two companies only collaborated on the dirt bike project and I cant see the "flagship" Kawasaki having a non-kwaka powerplant.

The 7 is being discontinued here (Australia) and the UK so I would assume that it will be the same story elsewhere.

I havent read anything about discontinuing the 9 but with a 10 who knows....

·
Registered
695 Posts
If they do keep the 9, I wouldn't imagine them ever putting much more R&D into it because the 10 will be its newest trend and that's where they'll devote most of their resources.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dang, I just got my 2003 zx6r (my first bike) a few months ago and was planning on upgrading in around 2 years to a 700 class Bike, since I would like a little more power than the 636 has to offer, but I didn't think I needed (was willing to pay for) the power of a 900 class bike, dang companies.

REy

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 7R is still in stores (in catalogs, that is) here in Portugal, so I guess they didn't removed it from the European market.

About the 9R, it will be replaced by the 10R. So, no point on continuing the sales. It will get off market, just wait. The argument of being comfortable is not valid: my '02 636 is much more comfortable than the '03, and they've discontinued it.

About the Gixxer engine, no way. Kawasaki and Suzuki share technology and knowledgement, not engines. Take for example the Suzuki's patented dual-butterfly throttle bodies. Kawasaki uses the same tech in '03 636, with the agreement of Suzuki, but that's it. It is tech knowledge, not parts...

About the brakes... from a long time now both Suzuki and Kawasaki use Tokico-made brakes, just like Honda usually uses Nissin's, Ducati and Aprilia go for Brembo, Yamaha and Triumph make their own brakes, and so on. It is an independent brake maker, so it is natural that the brakes look alike, although each bike has their own specific brakes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just my 2 cents,Look at the brakes of the new GSXR1000 and the new
6r's,they're pretty much the same(whether they're identical or not the 2 companies went with radial mount tokico's)and has anyone noticed the solo seat cowl on the new GSXR 1000,looks just like my
6RR's,maybe not the same but similar.Another thing,both companies
"randomly" went with LED tail-lights for the first time.I think
Kawasaki and Suzuki are doing alot more together than there telling the public as far as sportbikes go.like i said just my 2 cents.;)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by Synd

Take for example the Suzuki's patented dual-butterfly throttle bodies. Kawasaki uses the same tech in '03 636, with the agreement of Suzuki, but that's it. It is tech knowledge, not parts...
The kawi's is a bit diff, one big diff is it's 32bit vs the 16bit suzuki's. Aother small diffs too I believe. Most new injected bikes are using this technology in some form. Take the new Daytona 600, it's also virtually the same.

The case could be made that the kawi's is based on a shared (but improved) design...but what about the Triumphs? Food for thought. Discuss amung yourselves...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.