Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i swapped front ends to the 06 636, swapped to then newer nissin calipers, now i want to do some wheels and the 05 06 wheels don’t cut it for me... i have a set of zx14 wheels and i am trying to figure out what i am going to have to do with the set up.

i have both the 05 06 swingarm and the 03 04, 03- has more room to play so i am going to keep the 03 with the 05 shock but would really like to run zx14 wheels, seems as though the sprocket is not going to line up with front. i was thinking a offset sprocket may work, any one done this or have any ideas for me??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its already been on the bike, did the mock up and it fits in the swinger, just need to figure out what i am going to do as far as the chain alinning to both sprokets.... as far as my mesurments go i think i could even fit a 200 back there....
considering the rear wheel is wider the sprocket isnt your only problem here

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
an this is not my first rodeo with wheel swaps, i ran sp2's on my F4I, and we have put sp2's on sv's and several other bikes... along with gsxr wheels on honda's and so on, i was just wondering if anyone has ever done this with a 636... i know people are doing in on z1000's

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you don't care about handling, go for it. The bike was designed for a 180 tire and will perform the best with a 180.

I don't think it will be worth it to use a zx14 rear wheel. I think it would be too much work. Good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is my 10th year on a street bike, i am looking for help with fitment and mods not a lesson on the dynamics and handling of a motorcycle... please if you have not done wheels swaps or custom work don’t bother posting...

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
brakes line up ok ?
if so, is there an offset sprocket available ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rotor caliper was an easy fix, kept the stock hanger and made a custom caliper mount...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I'm putting a 636 wheel on a zx7r...the opposite direction of what you are doing from a wheel width standpoint.

when I compared a zx7r wheel (6.0) and a 636 wheel I found the sprocket offset to the edge of the wheel nearly the same...so...going from a 5.5 to a 6" you'd need to offset the sprocket inward to keep the wheel on center. You might rub on the tire moving it inward 1/4 inch. perhaps a spacer for part of that distance on the front sprocket would help...but this messes with the chain guide.

I know the zx14 front wheel rotor spacing is the same as the 636, zx7r and even the 98-02 zx6r...wasn't sure about the spacers...so does that go right on?

AFAM has a tech page with drawings of ALL their sprockets.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
i could have sworn the offset was wrong on the rear wheel no ? and i didnt think there was enough room for a caliper mount , keep this thread updated im very interested in seeing the final out come ..

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I was going to, and i still may do the swap on my bike, the front is easy, direct swap, now the rear is a bit tricky, spacers, and chain alignment, but shouldn't be too hard. I believe the wheels Jason Britton and Kane run were 14 wheels on the 07/08 bikes.
Ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so i swapped front ends to the 06 636, swapped to then newer nissin calipers, now i want to do some wheels and the 05 06 wheels don’t cut it for me... i have a set of zx14 wheels and i am trying to figure out what i am going to have to do with the set up.

i have both the 05 06 swingarm and the 03 04, 03- has more room to play so i am going to keep the 03 with the 05 shock but would really like to run zx14 wheels, seems as though the sprocket is not going to line up with front. i was thinking a offset sprocket may work, any one done this or have any ideas for me??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts