Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there...

Wishing a very Good day to everyone ;)

I'm new here...obviously, not sure whether the same topic has been brought up before...Really sorry if there is a duplication, let me know the link to it yaa

Okay..I'm having this dilemma whether to get either ZX6 or 250R for my first bike

I've ridden a motorcycle before, juz a 110cc...the purpose I'm getting this bike is for my daily commuter..I'm running on 30KM of highway and 5-6KM city road

At first 250R is my choice, people claims its a good town ride plus good FC as well..bout 1L : 25KM

But somehow, I'm gonna hit the highway which is about 30-35KM (one way)...the concern is whether how good or how fast can the 250R take me...

Really appreciate your views and opinion on this...perhaps I can get the FC for ZX-6 as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
great question
were i you, i may roll out on the 250 to get things going
great mileage and maneuverability/handling plus plenty fun

i don't know what the highways are like in Malaysia, but i wouldn't go smaller than the 600 out here on Southern California freeways

traffic is either a complete stop - which is great for the 250
or everyone is doing no less than 80/85 mph, with lots of wind and what not

without knowing what yer highways are like, can't really shout down the 250

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
How long have you ridden your 110cc bike for? Many years?

If you don't have a lot of riding experience a lot of people are going to recommend that you start on the 250, and rightly so, because of your experience gap. I live in socal and ride mine, the 08 250 on every highway there is out here. It goes plenty fast and is maneuverable/nimble. It doesn't have that torque busting power of low end acceleration though :( So on the highways you have to be extra aware in the anticipation of when to downshift so you can accelerate past vehicles. I can tell you that I get 40mph in seond gear, about 55-60 in third, 70-73 in fourth, 80 in fifth and above 100mph in sixth.

I've ridden the 250 to Vegas and back with the average speed of 90mph over 300 miles. The FC (fuel consumption?) is very good so that will be useful if part of your concerns are economical. Depending on how most people ride it seems as if a lot of the riders are getting between 40-55 mpg on the bike.

That's all I've got! Hope it helps...

-J

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you are speaking of the ZX6E, I'd say it'd be a fair bike to start on. It still has lots of power, but its not overwhelming.

The 250 is light and nimble, whereas the the 6E is heavy and not nearly as responsive.

With the experience you have (110cc), I'd say the 250 would be a closer match to what you're used to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Philo,

Malaysians highways are quite straight...our speed limits is bout 100-110KMH (60-70MPH) but even big vehicles will shoot up to 120-130KMH :(

We do have motorist lane but bikers (big bike) normally will opt for the speed lane. Malaysians drivers love changing lanes..which is not safe for the bikers to go for middle or left lane

Apart from that, once I hit the town / city...I'll face a complete stop traffic...juz imagine for a 5-6KM drive will cost me half an hour. With a car, I'll spend half an hour at highway (30-35KM)and the other half for town driving (5-6KM).

That is why I'm thinking to get a decent bike. I'm more concern safety ride and good handling

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ninja Jester & Daqq..

Good review and nice opinion...250R is my first option, I've tried the bike...really suits me since I'm just 168cm tall ;) Anyhow the seat height for both bikes are almost the same

Juz another friend suggesting to get a better bike / bigger cc coz I'm going to travel along the highway...

My experience on the 110 is not a really solid experience...kinda of ON and OFF, I don't even own any bike till today...When I was a student, used to borrow my housemate bike ...I think you guys can see me as a new biker

·
Registered
180 Posts
For the last two weeks I have been going to work on my '08 Ninja 250R. Most of the trip is on I95 towards Baltimore. Speeds average about 60-70mph although posted limit is 55. I am 6'1" and weigh 160lbs and the bike keeps up just fine. I can pass slower traffic fairly easily but often downshift and plan ahead as the 250 won't do passes the way a 600 will. The main problem is wind buffeting my body at high speeds. If I crouch forward behind the windscreen things get calmer and the bike goes a bit faster. However, on these hot days I need the wind to keep from roasting. I have been averaging 60mpg so far.

Tim

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Okay..I'm having this dilemma whether to get either ZX6 or 250R for my first bike

I've ridden a motorcycle before, juz a 110cc...the purpose I'm getting this bike is for my daily commuter..I'm running on 30KM of highway and 5-6KM city road
:p
An efficient commuter? That's what you want. 250R.

You don't need the 6.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
great question
were i you, i may roll out on the 250 to get things going
great mileage and maneuverability/handling plus plenty fun

i don't know what the highways are like in Malaysia, but i wouldn't go smaller than the 600 out here on Southern California freeways

traffic is either a complete stop - which is great for the 250
or everyone is doing no less than 80/85 mph, with lots of wind and what not

without knowing what yer highways are like, can't really shout down the 250
I don't agree. The 250 is fine even in southern california.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.