Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not many know but my bike spun a bearing (at least I think it was a bearing.) i recently bought a 93 ZX6 with 21k miles, the bike had been sitting in someones garage since 2010. I took it home and got the bike going within a week. 51 miles and a few burnouts later, the engine starts knocking... I change the oil and sure enough, theres a few metal shavings.

So now Im faced with getting another bike or rebuilding this engine. I dont want to get another used bike with god knows what problems its gonna bring. I also dont want to dish out $$$ for a newer, 0/low mile bike so I really want to rebuild this engine. The problem is that I have zero experience with motorcycle engines. Im used to SBCs and Honda Civics. I have been looking around the internet for rebuild kits and I see that Kawasaki parts are not as plentiful as i thought they were (for this old Kawi i mean.)

So my questions to you guys is:

How much should my budget be to rebuild the bottom end?
Where can I get parts for this engine?
Is there any good info (articles, books, etc.) on how to rebuild this engine?
Is there anyone in South Florida that does good work for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well to whom it may concern....

I cracked open the crankcase this afternoon. Con rod #2 threw the bearing. All other bearings look like theyre in decent shape. I am concerned about the con rod cap. Part of the bearing seem to have welded itself to the cap. Ill be taking the cap to a machine shop to see what they can do about the extra material on the con rod cap. I know i should probably go and pull out the crank and the rods and the pistons but for that kinda money I would rather get a newer bike. Im gonna polish the crank the best i can and just fit a new bearing in there. I ordered a brown, black and blue bearing (P/Ns 1303-1016, 17 and 18 respectively.) From there I plan to plastigage them and hopefully a pair fits.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts