Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Zx6r 2009
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, my names Mladen. Im a rider from Croatia. Been riding motorcycles for 3 years, last 2 seasons zx6r 2009.
2020 was my first amateur racing season, fell for it (both literally and methaphorically), had some decent results for a novice and now Im up to learn and get even better.
Crashed couple of times, learned a lot and now its time to prepare the bike for the upcoming season.

BIKE: zx6r 2009, 34000 km, stock aside from exhaust (can), air filter, 520 conversion, ecu flash, braided lines, Dunlop d213.

Heres how she looked when I got her:

Race fairings:

After the last race of the season:

This is her now:

Goals for the season:
Repairs ( Ill post everything as Im progressing)
Sort out bikes geometry and suspension setup (upgrading shock and cartridges)
Learn to keep my head cool when losing and gaining positions
Work on technique (breaking is my weakest spot)
Primarly Im racing at Grobnik racetrack near Rijeka Croatia and ocasionally train at some smaller local tracks.

Ill post pics as I move along, questions, tips and criticism are all welcome.

Cheers!

EDIT: wanted to add short clip of my crash but failed

Attachments

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Nice bike, I would love to see it repaired and racing again, so keep posting!

Judging from the damage, was it a low side + hitting the kerb?

I've never tried the Rijeka track but I've heard a lot about it, there are many riders from all around the Balkans at my local track, the Serres Circuit.

·
Registered
Zx6r 2009
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bike, I would love to see it repaired and racing again, so keep posting!

Judging from the damage, was it a low side + hitting the kerb?

I've never tried the Rijeka track but I've heard a lot about it, there are many riders from all around the Balkans at my local track, the Serres Circuit.
[/QUO
This is the video of my last crash.

·
Registered
Zx6r 2009
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steering damper revalved so it actually does something.
Price: 75 euros

Note: One of the local racers told me this bike loves short wheelbase, he said hed even cut swingarm to make the wheelbase even shorter so the bike turns in better. I knew nothing of geometry at that time so I did it. This combined with 180/60 tyre and stock 5mm fork protrusion resulted in bike being shaky and unstable at front when exiting corners under full gas. This is where this steering damper comes to play. Mine was completely stock, did not do its job and the front was acting scary to say the least. This also played a role in my crash later in the season. All being said, bike turned in amazing, was fast thru the corners and it felt great despite this probelm that I had. This led me to conlusion that zx6r geometry loves low trail numbers. This holds true for my current knowledge and understanding so Id be thankful if anyone who is more experienced and knows this bike could comment on my observations.

Spider racing rearsets are also fitted.
Price: 300euros

·
Registered
Zx6r 2009
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've opened the same thread on ZX6R forums, seems more active. Theres a discussion there so if anyones interested can check it out there as well!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
This is the video of my last crash.

Just as I thought, it seems like a bit of over driving /riding, it is very important that you have aknoledged the fact that the rider infont is affecting your aggressiveness because you will learn to control it and use it for your advantage (y)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Steering damper revalved so it actually does something.
Price: 75 euros

Note: One of the local racers told me this bike loves short wheelbase, he said hed even cut swingarm to make the wheelbase even shorter so the bike turns in better. I knew nothing of geometry at that time so I did it. This combined with 180/60 tyre and stock 5mm fork protrusion resulted in bike being shaky and unstable at front when exiting corners under full gas. This is where this steering damper comes to play. Mine was completely stock, did not do its job and the front was acting scary to say the least. This also played a role in my crash later in the season. All being said, bike turned in amazing, was fast thru the corners and it felt great despite this probelm that I had. This led me to conlusion that zx6r geometry loves low trail numbers. This holds true for my current knowledge and understanding so Id be thankful if anyone who is more experienced and knows this bike could comment on my observations.

Spider racing rearsets are also fitted.
Price: 300euros
Drastically altering the bike's geometry while counting on the steering damper to save the day seems pretty risky if you ask me. It's good to see it there and working optimally though, and the refreshed suspension will make a world of difference too, both for braking and cornering.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lower the front and/or raise the rear of the bike a few millimeters if you haven't done so already. I used to race an '07 ZX6R, which has similar frame geometry, with stock forks and Penski shock and it did wonders in the corners. You will have to readjust your sag each time but it's worth experimenting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts