Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody, I am currently in process of converting a ZX6R 95-97 to a street bike (big handlebars, naked)

I am going to replace the oil radiator with a under filter heat exchanger found in the 98+ models, this brings up a question whether I should blank off the oil lines from sump to the oil radiator or fit a loop to keep this passage open

I have researched the web and on ZXR400 forums there has been a somewhat non-conclusive discussion regarding this matter, where some members have had it just blanked off, claimed they raced this way and it not made a difference, some say that is what they think killed the motor

I have yet to review the haynes manual which I have for this model, but not sure if there are oil flow diagrams there.

The main idea is, in order to run a semi-reliable setup, I want to replace the radiator with newer model, after-market radiator, so that I can get rid of the oil cooler that is now perishing (fins brake away they are rotten) and run a new, larger radiator and utilise the heat exchanger. It seems to make more sense money wise to run such setup as opposed to sourcing two new radiators (£80 vs £350 for coolant, oil radiators that would perhaps fit, £80 ish)

I already sourced a radiator for £80, have the heat exchanger from an engine I took apart, £10 for the heat exchanger bolt, will need a coolant tee, £16.50 for a 98-02 radiator fan and thermoswitch. If I manage to sell my old radiator I will be having a very cheap upgrade and will not have to run 24 year old rad...

I can also confirm that 98-02 models have the same sump, with the oil connections there but they are not drilled and tapped and are not used.

So, would you loop or blank?

·
Pursebully
37,960 Posts
Definitely loop it.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
loop or blank, either way.......you'll be "cooling" with the rad liquid anyway...............I'd blank it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts