Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question. i got a 2004 zx6r with 2000 miles on it. how do i lube the chain and how much slack is it suppose to have and how can i tighten it. i am new to bike so any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you all

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I'd suggest buying the service manual for the bike, it will provide all the specs and tell you exactly what you need to do anything from basic maint. to complete teardown.

·
28,939 Posts
+1 to the service manual. and i recommend maxima chain WAX.

i usually clean mine every few thousand and lube every few hundred.

for cleaning i take the chain gaurd off and go to town with simple green and a little scrub brush. clean it up real good and then wipe/spray it off. go for a ride for 10-15 minutes to get the chain nice and warm. then before it gets a chance to cool down throw that biatch on a rear stand and apply a liberal amount of the wax while spinning the wheel by hand. when the wax goes on a warm chain it helps it run into places that it wouldnt normally get into. then make sure you let it sit for awhile so it has time to seat itself. if you ride right away it will just fling it off. let her dry though and it will stay in place.

also be extra careful not to get anything on your tire. if you do make sure its CLEAN before you ride or you'll end up on your ass.

as far as the adjustment goes on the 04 i couldnt tell ya for sure, but your probably looking at wanting an inch to an inch-and a half of free play. you need to find out for sure though. and always make sure you dont overtighten it. a tight chain can wreak havoc on the chain/sprockets/tranny/bearings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.