Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 zx6r and the fuel pump wont prime when I turn the key I jumped the fuel pump and the bike runs for a minute but then runs like crap and shuts off I dont know what it could be or where to get the part

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you run direct 12v battery power to the fuel pump it should run and the bike should run as well. If it does not then you will need to diagnose further to see if it is the pump or something else.

Try gravity feeding the carbs to see if that makes a difference.

Elevate the fuel tank and run a hose directly from the pet cock to the carbs. It would starve for fuel at the higher RPMs but would idle and rev just fine if there are no other problems.

That would let you know if there is a problem on the fuel delivery side or on the carb/engine side.

·
Registered
546 Posts
What is your level of experience mechanically? Have you ever worked on cars or anything? Have you ever worked on a motorcycle or is this your maiden voyage? Do you understand the process of eliminating things as possible problems to narrow the scope of your search? It is difficult to help you without knowing where you are coming from.

That being said, use the search function. There are a lot of threads that might be helpful to gaining a basic understanding of how certain things work and how to diagnose them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts