Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have any docs on my zx6r, so I'm not sure which is the fuel pump relay ?
is it the one on the right side over the fuse box, marked cf308a? is it correct
that is controls the starter too ?

·
Registered
653 Posts
its on the right side on my 95 behind the battery across from the turn signal relay good luck
casual

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I got it. hope it's this which causing the fuel pump not to start. only get a 8.0V into the pump. it works fine when hooking it directly to the battery

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
dude... mines doing the EXACT SAME THING! Its not the relay on mine.. i already changed it and no different. I couldnt figure it out so I just wired a switch to the fuel pump directly connected to the battery.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you checked if there is a bad ground ? how much voltage do you get from the pump connector ? have you measured the voltage into the relay and out of it ? hope you put in a fuse between the battery and the pump, and a switch :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
i checked for a bad ground but found nothing. I got 8.4v at the connector, didnt check to the relay... wasnt mymeter... didnt have it later on. no fuse between the battery and the pump.... im not too concerned about that. I would rather fix it right. lemme know if u find anything.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I have to find a way to disconnect the starter so I can do some more measuring without breaking it since the pump and the starter is on the same circuit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, the bike runs again. this is what I did. I cleaned out all the groundings. Disconnected the starter by the positive lead and measured the current into the pump while pressing the start button. It was now 12V and the pump was pumping gas as crazy. I then connected the starter again and the the bike started. I now measured the pump to between 7 and 8 V at idle. but when you rev up the bike I measured 12v. What I can get from this is that the pump is current regulated. Kinda strange. any ideas about it?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
interestin... maybe i should clean my grounds. How bad were urs? Can u take a pic of ur grounded terminal and the wires u have going to it? I have one black/yellow which is kinda ghetto... half the ring broke off and its kinda dirty, and i got the regular one with a bunch of wires going into it... kinda dirty also. THinh that may be my problem? which is the ground for the pump?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay, the black and blue going to the pump is the juice, the black and yellow is the ground. this whole system is double or more grounded, so it's going to the negative on the battery and the black and yellow which sits under the rear bracket of your tank. Seems to me the system is current regulated. When I rev up my bike it gives 12V to the pump. Try this after cleaning your grounds : unhook the starter, you'll find the positive right below from the carbs at the rear. unhook the fuel hose which goes into the carbs. now run the ignition button on the handlebars and the pump should start working. When the fuel starts coming out of the hose you unhooked you should stop, reconnect the hose and the starter. now try to start the bike up. I havent fully figured out the fuel system, but this worked for me. The pump only runs when it's needed to. Might be some kind of vacume system on it aswell, cause when I switch off the fuel and there is no flow the pump works at full speed, but when there is enough fuel in the system it shuts down. Havent got any docs on my bike. BTW, this is a zx600f2. I think there is different systems on the c and h models.
Let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
ill try it. The deal with the pump is it has an internal pressure regulator. You will notice that if u disconnet the fuel going to it, it will keep looking for fuel and will be on. I figured this out because I have my pump directly connected to a switch... and when i turn it on i hear it pump for a second or so initially... because it is maintaining pressure.... and it pumps as it needs to afterwards to maintain pressure.

·
Registered
934 Posts
bbolstad, you were talking about measuring current and then posting voltage levels... [?] Although I don't have the electrical prints, it makes perfect sense that the pump would be variable voltage. You'd need less fuel at idle than at higher rpms, thus less voltage (= low pump rpms) at idle than the full 12 volts at high revs (= highest pump rpms).

camaroguy72, I believe you're right about the internal pressure regulator and thus only running when it needs to. However, from what you've described... clean those grounds! [8D]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.