Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just fitted a new did gold chain and jtr sprockets and I am getting awful whine from the front sprocket area.
just took everything to bits again and took sprocket off and if I spin the output shaft I get a slight noise but when I run the engine and select the gears without sprocket fitted its silent.

sprocket is same stand off as last one but it makes an awful racket.

done 200 miles now and noise hasn't reduced. chain needed re-tentioning and that made no difference.

if I pull the clutch in the noise persists. only when I slowly let the clutch out and just at the bite point I can get the whirring noise to stop but with clutch fully in or out the noise is bad.
what has prob made matters worse is ive bought a 2010 gtr1400 shaft drive and done 2000 miles on that and then stepped back onto the zx6r and only really noticed it and maybe the noise was there before?.
I note the oem sprockets have rubber on the front sprocket and that helps reduce noise.
is there anyway I can fit rubber to my non stock sprocket? would that help rid the noise?

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
thats the noise.....non dampened front sprocket. It'd be real tricky to get the rubber to stick and hold on the new sprocket.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That is normal for an aftermarket front sprocket since it doesn't have the damper that the OEM sprocket has. I'm guessing you don't wear earplugs when you ride. I would recommend wearing ear plugs either way, because the bike/wind noise at speed is not good for your ears. Then as a side effect, you won't notice the sprocket hardly at all either.

I actually like the sound of the aftermarket sprocket! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just fitted an oem sprocket fitted with the rubbers and its silent as a baby.
I cant wear earplugs because I need to be able to hear the police helicopter that operates on a daily basis in our area.
plus im already half deaf being a builder using power tools for 30 odd years with no ear protection.

....pardon?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts