Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 zx6r with only 7000 miles on it, I have a problem where when I go to open full throttle anywhere above 10,000 rpms I get a loss of power, It will just stay at a steady mph, I thought my clutch was slipping but I changed it, and It still does the same thing, I also changed spark plugs and air filter, but nothing stopped it from doing that, I’m at a loss and I need some help.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Hello and welcome!

There could be a breather hose or vacuum line that is loose and/or leaking.

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
17 Posts
I have a 2005 zx6r with only 7000 miles on it, I have a problem where when I go to open full throttle anywhere above 10,000 rpms I get a loss of power, It will just stay at a steady mph, I thought my clutch was slipping but I changed it, and It still does the same thing, I also changed spark plugs and air filter, but nothing stopped it from doing that, I’m at a loss and I need some help.
Check the inside of the gas tank for rust. this sounds like what happened to mine but I hope it's not the same for yours. I bought a 2005 with 11k miles in February of this year and found the entire tank was rusted out. The first day ridingI tried to punch it and it failed - wouldn't go any further in rpms like the throttle was completely unresponsivie, but if I let off the gas and start accelerating again at a lower RPM it would be fine. If this is the case for yours, look in the tank with a flashlight. If it's rust, take it off the road immediately and start working on getting the rust out. Otherwise, you risk getting rust in the fuel injectors. Also, I'm basically an expert on rust removal after battling with it for a month, so feel free to hit me up and I have several tips I think could save you time.

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
17 Posts
With ethanol-laced fuels we have today, sitting around for a long enough time will cause rusting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the inside of the gas tank for rust. this sounds like what happened to mine but I hope it's not the same for yours. I bought a 2005 with 11k miles in February of this year and found the entire tank was rusted out. The first day ridingI tried to punch it and it failed - wouldn't go any further in rpms like the throttle was completely unresponsivie, but if I let off the gas and start accelerating again at a lower RPM it would be fine. If this is the case for yours, look in the tank with a flashlight. If it's rust, take it off the road immediately and start working on getting the rust out. Otherwise, you risk getting rust in the fuel injectors. Also, I'm basically an expert on rust removal after battling with it for a month, so feel free to hit me up and I have several tips I think could save you time.
I had that problem when I first bought mine and I cleaned out the tank and the fuel pump I think I’m going to check all my fuel likes and see if anything is clogged, now that this virus shut everything down I have time to work on it lol

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
17 Posts
I had that problem when I first bought mine and I cleaned out the tank and the fuel pump I think I’m going to check all my fuel likes and see if anything is clogged, now that this virus shut everything down I have time to work on it lol
How did you derust your tank? Just curious. Was bad was the rust? I used electrolysis which worked well but was resource-intensive - time, money, and attention. I cleaned out my fuel filter like you but then somehow did something to mess up the regulator, which I guess is responsible for supplying fuel pressure through the system. So, then it wouldn't start. She rides great now but there's other problems that have cropped out. Bikes really don't like sitting around for that long.

I hope for you it's something DIY-accessible like the fuel lines. I'd be curious to know how it goes. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I washed it out like 10 times with more gasoline which worked pretty good and then I used sea foam mixed with my glass when I used it with the fuel pump I never had any problems when I cleaned it, the rust was absolutely horrible and I have cleaned it out recently and there was barely any rush after putting 3000 miles on it since, I bought the bike recently after it sat in a guys garage for 10 years, it only had 4500 miles on it but the dude left gas in it for so long that I’m sure there is rust in the lines I will keep y’all updated

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
17 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the only mechanism for rust getting past the fuel filter would be to operate the bike as opposed to letting it sit for long periods of time, so I might stay off it until you can fix this (if you weren't already). You definitely don't want the rust to have gotten into the engine. Also, if you can, it might be a good idea to have it inspected for a diagnosis only so you can then do the DIY repairs with more efficiency instead of trying to find the problem yourself although if it's deeper in the fuel system that could be pricey. Good luck. I hope it's a manageable fix.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
How did you derust your tank? Just curious. Was bad was the rust? I used electrolysis which worked well but was resource-intensive - time, money, and attention. I cleaned out my fuel filter like you but then somehow did something to mess up the regulator, which I guess is responsible for supplying fuel pressure through the system. So, then it wouldn't start. She rides great now but there's other problems that have cropped out. Bikes really don't like sitting around for that long.

I hope for you it's something DIY-accessible like the fuel lines. I'd be curious to know how it goes. Keep us updated.
The best way I have ever seen to get rid of rust is Evapo-Rust: Amazon.com: Evapo-Rust, The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 32 oz: Automotive

It only gets rid of the rust and doesn't harm the good metal.

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
17 Posts
The best way I have ever seen to get rid of rust is Evapo-Rust: Amazon.com: Evapo-Rust, The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 32 oz: Automotive

It only gets rid of the rust and doesn't harm the good metal.
Although the electrolysis turned out to be expensive, a lot of that was due to trial and error and a lot of mistakes I made. I also bought tools like drills that were initially for the electrolysis but have obvious application elsewhere. I personally stand-by electrolysis for any rust that is beyond superficial. I used Metal Rescue for certain parts of the process which also worked well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts