Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think we were racing but I would not have thought I could pull away from a litre bike as fast as I did.
I was riding home on the freeway minding my own business when this guy on a SV1 passes me. I was doin about 80 and as he started to pass I matched his speed at about 90. He started to pull away fast and I opened it up and flew by him at about 120-130. I slowed back down to 90 and he caught up and we rode together for a little while till this right hand sweeping turn started coming up. Well he punched it again going into the right hander and again I hit it and flew by him on the outside at about 110-120. I really was not leaning that hard.
Was this guy just scared to open the bike up or will my little 6 really walk on a SV1000?

·
Registered
65 Posts
SV1000's are pretty similar power wise, but you would have had more top end. But having said that he would have had alot more midrange so over all I recon the two bikes are about even.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
sweepers on the interstate? i pity u guys.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"sweepers on the interstate? i pity u guys."
It was on the way home from work going from the separate carpool lane over the freeway and onto the exit ramp.
Dont worry about us San Diego guys we have plenty of good roads down here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah i rode with a kid that had a buell i think 1,000 twin or something, and it topped out around 135. Had crazy torque and because it was so short he could wheelie forever but the bike shook with the hardley engine in it. V Twins are torquey but forget that. RC51's and all those other liter twins just dont have the top end. "They are gay" says my friend who prefers Gixxer 1000's!

·
Registered
16 Posts
the imports are with no doubt top end favorites... i just sold my buell and got me a 6R... with all honesty this is my rider opinion:
the X1 Buell Lightning: nothing can touch this bike in the twisties. again nothing... the 1200cc motor has so much low end.. its a wheelie monster... i run with a 750 gsxr and a 1200 ninja.. both bikes kill me in the straights... very frustrating when you get to the twisties as the imports are up front and all you see is brake lights going in. and ooops the buell dips in the turn hugs the ground as if, on a steel rail, hardly any braking from the buell into turn due to the torqe of the motor shifting down. easing you into the sweep, twist the bitch hard as wah-la the buell is out front leaving the 750 and the 1200 dusted behind. and again a straight away ... an no guessing who was out front at the end of the straights.. the 1200 always is there first .. about 5 lengths behind ... is my buell .. although the 750 still dusts the buell .. the buell ate the 750 so much in the sweeps that the 750 is always 10 to 15 lengths back. I admit riding the buell had made me a hard agressive rider.. due to trying to catch up all the time. Which leads me to the 6R that im riding now.

needless to say the buell still handles the twisties better then any import ive ever ridden as for the 1200 and the 750
the 1200 is still always way in before my 6R ,, as for the 750 i came to realize matching import for import that the guy on the 750 well i dont think he knows what redline is.. the buell has made me so overly agressive that the R6 feels like a toy under me.. and even the big guys have trouble walking from me.. it has alot to do with the rider but all in all i wish they made a bike that handles like the buell but has all the speed of an import.. that would be a killer sled

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
A ZX636R will actually walk away through the gears from the SV or TL 1000's. I do it regularly against one of my riding buddies on a TL-R. But as for calling the SV a "1000", maybe be more specific and say a "1000cc TWIN" that weighs in close to 500 pounds wet and tuckers off at about 9000rpm. Compare that to a Gixxer that weighs roughly 50 pounds less and puts out some 42 more peak horsepower.

Here's the times at Sportrider.com:

Kawasaki ZX636R... 10.67 @ 131.0 1/4 mile, 4.34 60-80 top gear, 4.3 80-100 top gear, 158.5 top speed
Suzuki SV1000S... 10.82 @ 127.1 1/4 mile, 3.79 60-80 top gear, 4.51 80-100 top gear, n/a top speed

The big Zook will beat ya for torque badly, so roll ons at lower rpms won't fare you well at all, but if you keep the needle dancing up high you should be able to stroll away from the big twins.

·
Registered
700 Posts
How do the J bodies compare to the v-twins?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
A little closer on straight line runs, in fact very close with the TL1000R through the gears, at least till the TL gets wound out... the extra displacement makes for a wee bit better top speed. I ride with three of 'em. It really comes down to the rider in the end, but given a good rider, the 6's can be just a little quicker through the gears.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Spooter, I blew up your avatar, and your bike is REALLY sweet. I guess it's just me, but I'm partial to how the older bikes look. It looks like it's got "meat" on it's bones if you know what I mean. The newer bikes seem to look a little too "insect" like. Anyone remember when they were kids how the Transformer toys actually looked like trucks, cars and bikes? Then they came up with those plastic alien bug lookin' things... that's when I lost interest. (I could never tell if it was in its complete transformed state, or in its bug state.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.