Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the difference? Which would be better? The reason im asking is because I have a 6r and am attending a track night next season. I know that the zx6rr is more of a trackbike but am unaware of the differences on how itll fair in the racetrack.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Depends what you want, faster corner entry or faster corner exit? In a perfect world you could have both, too bad for the world it's not.[:p]

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
For a beginner the zx6r will be better, because of the much more usable powerband. Even for an expert, the adjustability advantages of 2003 or even the 2004 zx6rr will not overcome the stronger motor of the 2003 zx6r. For a beginner those adjustability advatages are worthless. The reason they made the zx6rr is because of class limits (599cc).

The zx6rr was upgraded in 2004 with a lot of the kit parts standard, but my take is that it would still loose to the 636 in laptimes and ease of use. For 2005 and onwards, as far as performance with stock suspension is concerned, the picture changes somewhat, but that isn't relevant to this thread I think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I raced a 2003 ZX6R 636 for 2 years, switched to a 2004 ZX6RR for one race and went back to my 03 636.I knew there was going to be a difference in power and torque, but I couldn't believe how much.Both bikes had all the same performance parts on, but the 636 had a lot more punch out the corners and the power didn't drop off untill it hit the limiter. The 6RR though had less punch out the corners and the power dropped off sharply after 14000 or 14500 rpm. The slipper clutch was nice though.The more adjustable chassis, adjustable swingarm, are only needed for factory teams that really want to get the last bit out of the handling.Even if you do make the bike handle better, it wont make up for the motor.I was more than 1.3 seconds slower on the 6RR than the 636.
I have now sold my 03 636 and bought a accident damaged 06 636. Out of all the ZX6's I've ridden this one is definately the best. In 3 days I was within half a second of my best time on my 03 and the bike is basically still stock. The chassis is a major improvement over the 03/04. The handling stock is better than my 03 which had a front internal kit and a WP race rear shock. It makes it a lot easier to do the times. The stock motor is nearly as strong as my 03 636 which had a filter, velocity stacks and a full Akrapovic race system. For my next race I hope to have my new Akro full race system which should save me about 5kg and add a bit of power.
Everybody said the 05/06 handles better and they were right. I really liked the 03, but after just 1 race I'm very glad I got the 06.
Coming back to your question, the 03 636 is definately better on the track than the 03 6RR.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the input.. im thinking of entering competitions with the 2003 6R as well but kind of worried how well it will match up with the newer bikes. as good as the 2003 6R is it is still getting old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.