Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious to find out i want to make my zx7r faster i was told to put flatslide carbs but they are too expenssive then i met a guy last tnight who put zx9 carbs in gis zx7r and he said it made a world of diffrence can anyone secont this? can it be done? how much power is increased? and is it worth it...? thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes but is too expenssive to get an entire motor.....lol if anyone has a cheap zx9 motor il game other than that ill have to settle for the carbs for now.....lol:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
good luck finding a 9 engine-they are link finding canary diamonds(see very rare)...ive been looking for awhile. the carbs usually will pop up on ebay but a complete engine is a different story.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but noone has still awnser my Question will the zx9 carbs make a diffrence in power and will they bolt right up?

·
Registered
111 Posts
i dont believe they will make as much a difference as getting it on a dyno and jetting the stock ones properly...imho money would be better spent elsewhere. these bikes stock are more tuned than any street car-in other words exhaust/jetting/etc will only make minor gains in horsepower...where as on a street car it would make quite a difference. in order to really get some power out of these motors you need cams/oversize pistons/etc and even then the most i have heard hp wise on a dyno is 140ish...where as you could walk into the showroom and buy a new 10 with 150ish. but horsepower is nothing if you cant use it-unless all you want to do is go in a straightline fast(boring). i would spend money on rebuilding forks/brake lines/brake pads/tires/gearing-anything other than trying to get more hp out of this engine...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im in the look out for a motor so besides a zx9 motor i know a friend of mine that has a zx10 motor would that fit?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, you are correct. A b-model is what you need. I have done it a few times and it is not a plug and play modification.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i would try all the bolt ons first. my bike responded real well to them. i did the air filter, jet kit, timing advancer, exhaust, muzzy block off plates, and -2 on the front sprocket. it made a huge difference, the bike is way faster. im working on FI for it right now, ill be sure to post how it goes. just waiting on stand alone sofware that will be out in the next month or two.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try www.ignitech.cz, tcip4 is the best system, if you are after running an aftermarket Ignitor.

also the 41mm ZX9R c model carbs work with the ZX7R 1996+ engine, i got some for the ZX9R B model because the C model ZX9 has a throttle sensor for the 3D map, instead of the aging 2D map but the carb spacing is differant.

Originally posted by SLED<br>i would try all the bolt ons first. my bike responded real well to them. i did the air filter, jet kit, timing advancer, exhaust, muzzy block off plates, and -2 on the front sprocket. it made a huge difference, the bike is way faster. im working on FI for it right now, ill be sure to post how it goes. just waiting on stand alone sofware that will be out in the next month or two.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try megasquirt.com it is a ecu that you put together or you can buy one already asemled. One goob thing is that it dose not cost much. I think one that is asembled is like $400. And another thing is that they are small a regular ecu is like 4"x7" witch is about the same size as stock or they are coming out with one that is the size of a credit card and is specific for motorcycles. Megasquirt is an open sorce so there is always new updates and the tuning software is free and it has a butt load of fetures.

·
Registered
36 Posts
as far as the carbs making a huge difference "No not really", the flat slides, though wonderfull, actually ad no power to a relatively stock motor, what they do accomplish is make the bike more fun to ride, the way they deliver fuel and power above 5k, the down side is they are a pain in the ass to use around town in traffic, little boggy down around 3.5k, and tempermental with the ram air. What can happen is, if they are not pressurised correctly, you will run out of fuel around the 8k range. I believe that zx9 carbs belong on a zx9 motor with a zx9 airbox. just my opinion-

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Your 92 zx7 would benefit greatly from 93-95 cams...with a little searching they should be available for around $100. But you have to stick to the lower redline of the 92. 93-95 (and the 91-92 zx7rr) had dual valve springs and so could rev higher. You can also use 94-97 zx9 pistons....they drop in with a 2mm overbore.

I had built the above with a full muzzy exhaust and it was a sleeper. The 93 muzzy exhaust had a little better midrange. I also tried a Yoshi 4-2-1 and it was better still...better mid, less flat spot and higher peak.

There is a lot of power in the head on that bike...you just gotta pay to get it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.