Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Go for the Gixxer instead of the ZX7RR. The Kawi 7 would be a costly step sideways imo. The 2000 model was the first year of the last generation, so if you can find one for a decent price, it's a much improved motorcycle over the '99.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a tough decision. I like the ZX7RR because it's a 'big bike', in the same respect that my 02 6R was. It had big fairings, a lot of plastic, and that big bike feel. I do a lot of long distance riding and high mileage days, so this was a plus. But, I also like the power and handling of a GSXR750. I haven't ridden either bike, but from what I've read and and heard from friends, and other forums the ZX7RR isn't much different then a ZX6R. And they don't make them anymore. Gah, I can't really decide.

So they did change the 7? I thought the last time they changed it was 92 or 93 or something like that. What were the differences between the 99 generation and the 2000-2003 generation?

·
Registered
771 Posts
the 7RR is very aggressive seating. not good for touring it will kill your back, wrists, shoulders ect.. get a 9r 98+ I'd go 00+ for the cooler headlight. anyway the 9 is a coutch like your 6, high handlebars low seat and turning is effortless. they feel like sportsters with dragbars to me.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I picked up a GSX-R750Y1 for a steal with only 2,066 km's on it, and I'm very happy with it. Might not be quite as sharp lean-to-lean as the 636, but still pretty flickable, and the extra oomph in the midrange is perfect. Not so much that it'll loop ya backwards if your hand goes jittery like a 10R, but still enough to keep ya interested, and you don't need to keep tapdancing on the shifter like a 600. Might just be the perfect real-world street superbike.

At the same time, a buddy of mine just grabbed a leftover '03 9R for a good price, and it's a fun bike too. Not as nimble and sharp as the Gixxer, but the tradeoff is it's better for touring miles, and still can more than hang in a straight line. If you're going for longer rides at a lesser pace more often, definitely go with the 9R, and if you prefer the adreneline rides, grab the 750.

Check the local bike trader magazines (most of 'em are online nowdays too...). There's all kinds of deals on those bikes if you shop around and aren't afraid to throw offers at sellers and walk away if you don't get the deal you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.