Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the best bike is 600's but my friends say its for pussies and think the ZX12R is badass.

I was just wondering how much faster the 12R was in the 1/4 mile, which handles better (has to be 6R), etc. I figured if you put some stuff ont he 6R it would be just as fast as the 12R......

whats your take on this?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Rediculous Question...
That's like asking, how many people think a Filet Mignon is better than a New York Strip! It's all a matter of opinion. Different people like different things, I (obviously) am very happy with my 600 and I really don't think I need anything bigger.

I would go bigger for long trips though, but I'd probably get a sport tourer like the Kawa 1000 or the Yama. For a sport bike, I'm happy with my 600...

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hmm, I don't think I've seen any 12R's in the "fast" group on trackdays. Plenty of them in beginner or medium groups though. Same with busas.

People who don't know anything about bikes always think the hayabusa is the fastest because it has the most hp. And sure, straight line acceleration or top speed it might be, but that shit is boooring, at least that's my opinion.

So,I guess you could say:
6r has low power & best handling, means low lap times but slow 1/4mile
9r has more power but slightly worse handling, means low lap times and faster 1/4 mile
12r has the most power but the worst handling of the ninjas, means longer lap times but fastest 1/4 mile

What does "fast" mean to you? Cornering speed or straight line speed?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i always heard that the zx9r is more of a touring bike. bad handling doesnt even out the 899 cc's.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Let's see. . . ain't nuthin' you could do to make a ZX-6R as fast as a ZX-12R except maybe putting a second engnine in it like the first one. As far as the "old" ZX-9R. If you put a new ZX-6R and a ZX-9R on a track the ZX-6R would be quite a bit behind. There was a test in a foreign mag not to long ago where they did just that. To my surprise the "old" ZX-9R finished ahead of the the GSXR750 (to my surprise) and way ahead of the new ZX-6R (636).

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
You know, this is almost a case of "more is better" syndrome.

The 6r is more well rounded bike. You have light weight combined with manuverability at a good price. Also there are more custom parts and accessories available for the 6r than there are for the 9r and the 12r.

And I think RedFinn summed it up nicely. A person has to ask themselves what they want a bike for and then match their needs with a bike that provides that. While a 9r and a 12r have more torque and horsepower, you are't gonna carve up canyons or eat up the track like you would on a 6r. Want to straight line drag? All 1/4 mile stuff? Then a 9r or 12r might be better suited.

All in all I can see me owning a 9r or maybe the new 10r, but I cannot fathom ever needing or wanting a 12r, even though it is a bad ass bike.

And to answer the original question:
(All statistics in standard (US) measurements)

Bike | HP | Torque | Quarter Mile | Wet Weight | Price

6r / [email protected],750 / [email protected],750 / [email protected] / 418 / 7,999

9r / [email protected],250 / [email protected],500 / [email protected] / 472 / 9,499

12r / [email protected],000 / [email protected],750 / [email protected] / 547 / 10,999

The 6r is for an '03 model, and the 9r and 12r are '02 models.

Also for me weight is a big consideration. I'll take the 6r at 150lb less than the 12r. That's a lot easier to steer around town, driveways, parking lots, etc.

-Flash

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
SW, it would really depend on the TRACK to say the 9R is better on a track than the new 6R. The 6R will BADLY outhandle a 9R on a tighter track. Tighter tracks to me are more fun than wide open ones. And I will show you several magazine tests that have the 6R and other 600's cutting faster lap times than big bore bikes. I'm looking at the August issue of Superbike "Class Wars" which pits the ZX6R against the GSXR1000, Aprilia Mille R and the Hayabusa in different road and track conditions. The Gixxer wins, but the 636 comes second, and they rave about how it comes into its own on tighter backroads and tracks. It all depends on what you want... if you want torque galore, prefer long freeways to tight backroads, and consider a lot of shifting and high revs a chore, you are better off going for a liter bike. I don't. I like revving the bike to the moon, lotsa shifting, and razor-sharp flickability in my bikes. Some call revving and shifting "work"... I call it "FUN"... and unless you are of a high level of racing skill, you're going to be faster on a 600 on MOST tracks. Period.

·
Registered
349 Posts
No doubt about it, the '03 ZX6R is a sweet bike. But Any late model 9R on a medium or big track will simply walk it with semi-even riders. The 9R's power is just too much vs the 6R. On a really tiny, slow, technical track, (IE Cayuga, short Shannonville circuits), the 6R might give more than it takes.

And yeah, the 12R is a lot of power.

No way any 6R with less than $20K USD of mods will even come close to a stock 12R in straightline power (unless you ain't worried about blowing up the engine every other week with a huge shot of nitrous).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Be interesting to see if the average rider rode the 3 back to back down the quarter to see who was fastest,ie a bet the zx12r would be one intimatating bike to launch hard,personanly what bike is best comes down to the individual(my opion anyway)and there style of riding,straight away someone on a zx9r or 12r gets street cred or pose points whatever u want to call it,others like the fact u can ride them smoothly on the torque of engines,less gearchanges etc,personaly i would like to have a vtwin like 1000sv with twin exhausts for the sound be i reckon i would be faster riding through normal roads on my 600 as i donmt reckon i could use the full power or torque of a thou fully. mind u 600s these days have a top speed of over 260km and do the quarter in highs tens pussy bike gees people pay huge money to get their cars going that fast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Flash Ahhh

You know, this is almost a case of "more is better" syndrome.

The 6r is more well rounded bike. You have light weight combined with manuverability at a good price. Also there are more custom parts and accessories available for the 6r than there are for the 9r and the 12r.

And I think RedFinn summed it up nicely. A person has to ask themselves what they want a bike for and then match their needs with a bike that provides that. While a 9r and a 12r have more torque and horsepower, you are't gonna carve up canyons or eat up the track like you would on a 6r. Want to straight line drag? All 1/4 mile stuff? Then a 9r or 12r might be better suited.

All in all I can see me owning a 9r or maybe the new 10r, but I cannot fathom ever needing or wanting a 12r, even though it is a bad ass bike.

And to answer the original question:
(All statistics in standard (US) measurements)

Bike | HP | Torque | Quarter Mile | Wet Weight | Price

6r / [email protected],750 / [email protected],750 / [email protected] / 418 / 7,999

9r / [email protected],250 / [email protected],500 / [email protected] / 472 / 9,499

12r / [email protected],000 / [email protected],750 / [email protected] / 547 / 10,999

The 6r is for an '03 model, and the 9r and 12r are '02 models.

Also for me weight is a big consideration. I'll take the 6r at 150lb less than the 12r. That's a lot easier to steer around town, driveways, parking lots, etc.

-Flash
alright, if those 1/4 mile times are true then the big 12R is only a second faster than the 6R. So you guys say its not possible to make it near as fast? Im kind of new to bikes, but dropping a powercommander and sprockets and all that wont drop the bike down a second?? Thats hard for me to imagine....anyone have stats on how much that stuff actually helps?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
To drop a second in that performance category takes a huge horspower increase. To give you an idea the GSXR's, 600, 750 and 1000 all weigh within about 10 lbs of each other. The hp is about 100, 125 and 150. The GSXR1000 with about 50 more hp than the GSXR600 will only run about 1/2 second faster in the quarter.

If you want to run faster the cheapest way by far is just to buy a 2001 GSXR1000 for about $6,000. You could put $6,000 in a ZX-6R engine and still not be as fast . . . and it would surely be less reliable.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
And remember, we are just talking quarter mile. Not a time-to-distance or time-to-speed of a greater margin. Increase those perimeters and the difference in bikes will become more apparent.

Also, not to bust up on the Hayabusa fans out there, but according to "Hard Numbers" article (Where I got the above info) the Hayabusa does a 1/4 mile in 10.34 seconds.

The following bikes "BEAT" the Hayabusa in 1/4 times:

CBR954RR
CBR1100XX
9r
12r
Gix750
Gix1000
R1

Also, not many people (myself included) could ride any of those bikes at the capacity required to meet those times. So when buying a bike is it actual use or just hard number bragging rights that a lot of people go after? I think it's the latter.

-Flash

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
To me, sportbiking is all about how the bike makes ya feel when you ride it. Too many people get lost in 1/4 mile times instead of the way a bike balances cornering, acceleration, and ergonomics. Does it REALLY matter that one bike will be a couple bike lengths ahead at the end of a straight if the second bike badly outbrakes it and rails the corner better?

It's all what you want in a ride. For straight line guys who care less about tight twisty backroads, you better get the big-bore beasts, and for guys who prefer strafing apexes and carving canyons, I don't think you can DO any better than today's 600's...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Just to put things into perspective, the new '03 ZX-6R weighs about 20 lbs less than a lumbering GSXR1000. A GSXR1000 actually weighs about 20 lbs less than my old '95 ZX-6R.

·
Registered
56 Posts
SWjohn its really hard to drop a whole second off your 1/4 mile time, remember you're doing it under 111 seconds anyway. take for instance a stock late 80s mustang with the 5.0 and 5 speed, in the hands of a capable driver it can do really high 13s, my friend has an 88 and he built a 347 stroker engine, cost him about $7000, and pretty much the only thing from the stock 302 are some small accessory type things that don't add hp. He's pushing around 450 hp compared to the like 280 I think it is in the stock and he thinks it'll run in the mid 11s somewhere with slicks. Thats how hard it is to cut down on quarter mile times. If you want a good bike comparison of it find the June issue I think it was of Motorcyclist magazine, they do a comaprison of the Busa vs zx12r bones stock and they also change the sprocket to make it a little faster, check it out it was a good read, if it wasn't june it might have been july.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Demon,

Correction. You are referring to the August 2003 edition of Motorcyclist. Pages 32-47

There they take the Hayabusa and the ZX-12r and put them thru several phases of racing and modifications. Round 1, bone stock; round 2, simple suspension mods/adjustments; and round 3 gear changes. Biggest rule, no engine mods.

The end result were both bikes hitting the mid 9's in the quarter mile, which was less than a 1 second drop in comarision to stock times. Good read.

-Flash

·
Registered
880 Posts
The more money you spend the faster your bike will get. Remember though you can only mod a bike so much. If you want to drop 1/4 mile times buy a bigger bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
what bike is better? well, it all comes down to what you're gonna use it for. I have owned a zx9 and currently own a 12r and a 7r.
If ya like goin FAST in open roads and drag race then a 12 is a pretty good option, I've ran high 9's on my bike at a shade under 150mph and let me tell ya, it is cool having such a weapon under you.
A second on the dragstrip may not sound like much(it's alot),but don't forget when you take into consideration the trap speed the strightline performance gap is bigger than it appears.
BUT, if you like doin trackdays and dicing with the boys, I think the 600 is where its at.
The 9r lets you have abit of everything....jack of all trades, but master of none is the 9r, but having said that, a bloody good road bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.