Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

I have a ZZR-600 E model from 1999, my first bike, been riding it for a couple of years now only at Spring/Summer season. I also own a VN 750 Vulcan 1990.

I need some advice understanding the temperature gauge.

My temperature always stays around the second mark on the gauge when riding outside the city.
Inside the city/traffic I often experience the temperature to climb to the center of the gauge, and this is also where the fan kicks in. This lowers the temperature down to the second mark again. This behaviour sort of tells me, that the thermostat is fine.

I don’t seem to be able to find any informative information about this in the owners manual. All it states is, that the temperature should stay in the white zone. This however doesn’t explain, how the gauge should behave in situations.

I've talked with quite a few people about this, and I get very different opinions.

- Is there a particular reason, why the temperature never stays in the center of the gauge, like in a car for instance, shouldn’t the center of the gauge be the operating temperature, or is it more or less overheating the engine, which causes the fans to immediately cool it down ?

- I’ve thought of installing a cardboard on the radiator to keep the temperature as close to the center as possible at all times, would this be a good idea ?

I really don't understand why neither the owners manual or service manual has any good information on this.
It would be greatly appreciated, if any of you could find me this information written somewhere for the ZZR and the VN 750 Vulcan, as they both behave much the same.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2007 ZZR600
13 Posts
The fan kicks in so it won't overheat.
If the temp climbs and climbs, and no fans, then you got issues (fan, thermostat, coolant).
City driving = more stopping = slower speed = less air flow.
You're worried about nothing, let it do it's thing, it's working as designed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan kicks in so it won't overheat.
If the temp climbs and climbs, and no fans, then you got issues (fan, thermostat, coolant).
City driving = more stopping = slower speed = less air flow.
You're worried about nothing, let it do it's thing, it's working as designed.
Thanks for the reply Ken.
I understand, that I would have a serious problem, if the temperature rises beyond center.

Do you know, what the exact temperature is at the second mark on the gauge and at dead center, how much temperature difference is there really between these two spots?

Wondering, if the engine should be running at center all the time, to run more efficiently, not only in the city due to less air flow.

·
Registered
2007 ZZR600
13 Posts
Sorry I don't, and I'd guess it's not going to be very accurate.
Just a thought though, what about using a handheld temperature gun (cheap on ebay/amazon) and note the difference.
I think this might give you "an idea" in the "temperature swing / delta", but as far as I know the reading is of the coolant (some one correct me if I'm wrong).
I have a digital gauge (2007 ZZR600) and the fan kicks in around 215 degrees F.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts