Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I know there are lots of posts regarding tires/tyres, but i couldnt find a comprehensive list of the relative longevity of the different tyres. I'm looking to replace mine with something that will eat up the miles. I do an 70mile roundtrip each day to work on my 96'ZZR 600, so I want value for money. The journey is typically a 70mph+ motorway trip for the majority, until I get into central london that is...

Can you list out:

Rear tyre
Life span in miles

Front tyre
Life span in miles

Your riding style

Price paid

Pros vs Cons

Cheers!!

Nick

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have just bought some brigestone b220 tires and its great so far as far as milage 1000 miles and just started to wear the nippples off. great in the rain too. I also ride the highway alot but havent pushed the curves to the kneedragging point.
My .02
Thanks Ron

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I've been using Bridgestones BT-014F and BT-020R for the last year or so, and have been very happy with them.

Rear tyre life - Currently at ~11,500 miles, with probably another 3,000 or so miles left in it. I've been giving this tyre a hard time (for me) too.

Front tyre life - Currently at ~11,500 miles, and completely shagged.

My riding style - Smooth. Mostly commuting/general riding about, but with regular hoon sessions, and occasional very fast rides (of about 200 - 500 miles in length, at between 100 and 150-ish mph) in the country. No burnouts.

Price - It won't help you, being that you're in a different country.

Cons - The front has worn out long before the rear. I've never had that happen before.

Pros - These tyres have done everything I've wanted them to. They turn in well, allow me to tighten my line easily, grip well, and have lasted (in the case of the front tyre) longer than expected, and in the case of the rear tyre, far longer than expected.

I'll be buying another set, although I'm thinking about getting a BT-020F to balance the wear rates out.

If you're after longevity, I'd suggest looking at Michelin Macadams as well, if they still make them. I had a Macadam rear tyre on once (for a cross-country trip) and did about 8,000 miles in a straight line, at an average of about 75mph, and still had what was probably another 4,000 miles worth of tread left at the end of the trip.

It gripped really well too. I really didn't want to like that tyre (I've had other tyres which were made out of concrete by Michelin), but it really was a very good tyre, even in the wet. And it simply would not wear out! :D

If Michelin don't make the Macadam any more, have a look at the Pilot Road.

Ps. I still prefer Bridgestones.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have put 5000 miles on my Metzeler Roadtec Z6's on my 2005 ZZR600, and I expect them to be good for another 5000 miles.

I ride medium-hard; no burnouts, but I rip on the bike pretty good, and hit the twisties on a regular basis. There is some commuting on these tires, but my commute is so short (~15 miles daily) that it's of little consequence.

Not only do these tires last well, but they are sticky. I have yet to see how well they do on the track, but on the street I have ridden it pretty hard and not had a problem.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
I put on a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's this year, they are an extended mileage tire.
Grip was great, enough to get my knee down as normal.

I didn't get to find out how long they last though, a car took care of that [V]
So what's the status of you getting back on the road on two wheels?

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
nikk1e: the best tyres for longevity will be either a bridgestone bt020 F/R combo or Avons touring tyres both are good for 10k+ miles, the bridgestone are better on the motorways and in the wet, especially on our roads.

Russ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys! your advice is much appreciated. The bike has a rear BT020 which is down to about 1.4mm. I bought the bike 2 months ago and this was the tyre it had on it.

Deathace, 10k lifespan sounds perfect for me. I really dont want to be buying a new set every other week! :)

BTW, The front is a pirelli of some sort. Its got about 2mm left in it. Would you recommend keeping the front or buying new front and rear matching set?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Buy a matching set. Not necessarily so that they match, but so that you have two new tyres on at the same time.

You'll be amazed at the difference two new tyres make to the handling of the bike.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
If your going to go with one maker over another then try and match the same on the front (not necessarily the same model tyre but same maker). this will stop there being a difference in compound structure between the 2.

Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.